Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
justinbrunkow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466393
Default Rebuild vs. engine swap

Let me start out by saying that time and cost is of the essence here; I do not currently have a garage, so I may have to borrow space to leave the car apart overnight. That being said, I am eager to start wrenching around so that I can be a more knowledgeable and responsible car owner. I have only replaced a few plug and play parts at this point, but I'm wondering if this would be an edifying activity or a suicide mission for an intermediate / beginner mechanic.

Let's consider my issue irrelevant for the purpose of this thread. My engine has been consuming oil for some time, but I have another thread for that. I probably only have about 40,000 miles left on this engine. I'm hoping that I can study up for a rebuild / swap or save enough in the time before this one dies on me.

How much time and money would a rebuild or a swap take? What tools might I need? How reliable will the results be afterwards?
justinbrunkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Brad47933
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453574
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Sonic yellow

What engine do you have now? But are you looking for a stock motor,JDM ,platform to build , or a hybrid set up .?
Brad47933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
justinbrunkow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad47933 View Post
What engine do you have now? But are you looking for a stock motor,JDM ,platform to build , or a hybrid set up .?

I believe it is the EJ25. I have not modified anything.

I am interested in some sort of hybrid setup, but I will likely keep it stock to avoid having to replace more parts because of compatibility issues. I am just gauging opinions at this point. What have Impreza owners found to be the most worthwhile route to take? What problems should I anticipate? What tools might I need?
justinbrunkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Brad47933
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453574
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Sonic yellow

I can't answer that, cause I'm still learning myself don't wanna blow you smoke . But I do know that somebody will be able too and they need more detailed information .
Brad47933 is offline   Reply With Quote