Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 23, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452140
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Subaru Stars 2012 Impreza Base Hatch Build

I have a thread on Expedition Portal to track my build ideas and progress, but I'll keep track of it here, too. You guys have way more insight on these cars (obviously). Any and all suggestions are appreciated and welcomed.

Picked this up in August 2016 with 50K on the clock.

Stats:

Year: 2012
Make: Subaru
Model: Impreza
Trim: Base hatchback
Drivetrain: 5-speed AWD / 2.0L DOHC
Color: Black

Quick Reference

August 2016 / 50,000 miles
Dealership work - Safety inspection, open recalls, wheel alignment, new Continental tires, oil change, front & rear brakes.
Added euro-style Subaru crossbars and auxiliary input for stock radio.

September 2016 / 52,000 miles
Dealership work - replaced HVAC controls, CEL P2005 P2006; replaced intake valves.

September 2016 / 53,000 miles
Fog light installation, ADF 1" strut spacers, seat covers, STi shift knob, STi alloy pedals, muffler delete.
Bosch wipers, SilverStar headlights, K&N drop-in filter / charcoal filter removed.

October 2016 / 54,000 miles
Rally Armor flaps installed.

December 2016 / 57,000 miles
Winter tires installed - General Altimax Arctic 205/70R15
All-wheel alignment, synthetic oil change

January 2017 / 60,000 miles
35% wrap-around tint installed

Modifications & upgrades:
[X] USB / auxiliary input for stock stereo
[X] Subaru rubber floor mats / cargo mat / cargo cover
[X] Subaru euro crossbars
[X] Charcoal filter removal / K&N filter installed
[X] Fog lights with H11 yellow bulbs
[X] Muffler delete / seat covers
[X] ADF 1" strut spacers
[X] 205/70R15 steel wheels & General Altimax Arctic (winter) / Geolandar A/T (summer)
[X] STi alloy pedals & STi shift knob
[X] Rally Armor flaps
[X] 35% window tint / blacked out grille
[ ] Impreza Sport hatch spoiler
[ ] Primitive Racing front skid plate
[ ] SSD front light bar / 2x Hella driving lights
[ ] SSD strut tower brace / alternator cover / CAI
[ ] Torklift 2" invisible hitch
[ ] Thule roof rack setup - square bars

That's all I've got for her so far. Will update this as I learn more and modify the car a bit.

Last edited by Jack Stilts; 02-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Jack Stilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

The Impreza has actually been at the dealership for about a week now after it threw an engine light and traction control light. Been doing some reading on other threads. Codes were:

P2005 Valve Open
P2006 Valve Closed

It didn't cause any drivability issues, but the car was purchased with the Subaru certified warranty. They're replacing both valves, which are apparently on backorder...

Just glad it's getting fixed!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Getting a whole lot done this month

Got my Anderson 1" strut spacers in, and I can't praise Patrick's company enough. Shipped super fast, great quality parts. Also getting in fog lights with yellow bulbs, muffler delete, seat covers, STi shift knob and alloy pedals, and Pirelli ATR tires for the stock steel wheels.

Installed a K&N drop-in filter and removed the charcoal filter. What a difference! I've heard good things about that combination, but holy hell. This econobox gets up and moves now!

Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
jbirch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417264
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 impreza
blue

Nice job
jbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
tropicaliboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455379

When you got the lights was it a simple plug and play? Or did you need a kit?
tropicaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

We have here a set of 1" Anderson strut spacers, fog lights with yellow bulbs installed, alloy STi pedals, and a little muffler delete.

The strut spacers were installed with the assistance of a very helpful local Subaru guru. I went with the 1" for two reasons - to fit the bigger tires (still on order) and also to get the saggy Subaru off the ground.

The pedals were installed because I'm spoiled - I've been driving "hot hatches" and performance cars for my job over the last five years and I'm used to the way performance pedals feel when shifting and braking and such. The stock rubber pedals were soft and spongy, and now they feel solid. Same story with the STi shifter knob. The factory one felt rubbery and soft. New one is much more stiff.

Seat covers were an eBay special, but the ended up fitting pretty well. Matched the interior, too!

The muffler delete was installed because again - I'm used to a performance car. While I'm not trying to turn this little econobox into a performance vehicle, I still like the aura of one. Removing the muffler and installing this little pipe gave me exactly what I wanted - a little bit of 2.0L growl without sounding like a ricer (or a d-bag). No drone on the highway, nice and quiet. I'm glad I can hear the car when I shift, and that was my goal. My only issue with it is that it hangs down a little bit further than I like, so I'm planning on trimming it down an inch or two.

Lastly, I found a steal of a deal on the OEM rear cargo cover and rubber mat.

I'll be wiring in the fog lights this weekend (have do to a bit of splicing & soldering since they're not OEM), and this little Subaru only needs a few more things to be complete!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicaliboy View Post
When you got the lights was it a simple plug and play? Or did you need a kit?
The fog lights I got were from ebay (about $50), but I went for that route instead of the $250-$300 OEM kit. The ebay fog lights have been great so far, but I had to do some modifications. The good news was that the car is already wired for fog lights on both ends. I had to splice in the fog lights into the factory wiring harness, and I bought the OEM fog light switch ($30) and relay for under the steering wheel ($15). Everything has been great!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Had a good Subaru Sunday (and a Skyrim Sunday afterwards). Got my Rally Armor flaps installed, and I now understand the cost. Quality is definitely there, even in the packaging.

Also finally figured out why my newly-wired in fog lights weren't working - I was missing a relay. Kind of important, eh?

Still need to order my damn tires...goal is to have them on before it snows. But this is Michigan, so even though it's 80 today, it could very well snow tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #9
Awkwardturtle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453969

Noicee
Awkwardturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Finally decided on tires. I wanted some decent, mild all-terrain tires that were winter rated to mount on the 15" steel wheels. Started debating between the Geolandars and the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs, but they were too expensive and winter was coming. I decided to just get some winter tires for now and figure out the next set in the spring. I'd like to get the gunmetal gray Sport wheels, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyway - General Altimax Arctic 205/70R15! Keep in mind - these are an inch bigger than stock, but I have the 1" ADF spacers installed for the extra clearance.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Finally got the windows tinted - factory tint installed at 35%. Love the way it looks, and practical to keep the damn sun out of my son's eyes.

Still loving this car. Took a surprising hit with the winter tires (33 highway down to 28), but it's to be expected. Got the oil changed and driving the wheels off of it. Few more goodies to be had soon.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #12
jacebasford
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437880

Love it, very different good luck on the rest of the build!
jacebasford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
KAbong30
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462227
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5D Base
MBP

This thread makes me happy. You're doing a lot of the things I'd like to do to my own Base Hatchback. Gonna start researching that 1" lift!
KAbong30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Thanks guys! I love this car every time I drive it (or when the wife lets me...)

Been trying to troubleshoot this stereo issue I've been having. I added in a head unit from another Impreza with the hopes that I could use the auxiliary input, USB, and/or Bluetooth capabilities. I got all the wiring needed for the former two, but was still missing a harness. SVXdc helped me out in a huge way and I ordered an 8-to-16 pin adapter for the back of the head unit. Worked great, but unfortunately didn't fix the issue. Still no audio from the auxiliary input / USB. I'm just going to cut my losses and order an aftermarket head unit with all the features I'm looking for, which is what I should have done in the first place. I guess I like to retain as much Subaru-brand equipment as possible. Or maybe I'm just a gluton for headaches and troubleshooting.

Anyway, while the car was under the knife, I swapped the front marker lights to LED, so now all front exterior lights have been replaced. Looks a little angry with the headlights off, though.

I'll also be ordering a bigger Thule roof box - the one I currently have is the Force Large, but I need a longer one to accomodate the new tent I'm getting, which packs down to a whopping 6.5 feet long. Getting all my ducks in a row for camping season!

Looking at tires too - trying to decide if I want to cram some mild all-terrains on the steelies, or if I want to get some proper wheels for the car and just deal with high-performance all-seasons. Waiting on that tax $$$!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #15
Jack Stilts
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Few updates! I've been very indecisive on my next tire selection once spring hits. Been back and forth between all-seasons, all-terrains, and everything in between. I narrowed it down to two all-terrain options - the Geolandars and the Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Both are similarly priced, and both have their merits. I did some math yesterday (dangerous), and figured out that I'm only about 1/2" too short to get the smallest sized General Grabber ATRs (205/75R15). I've loved those since the day I saw them, and almost put them on the Xterra (only didn't because of a great deal on BFGs). I am currently trying to figure out if I can cram those suckers on the Impreza. I'd love to have a real all-terrain, but it does beg the question - are they needed? To which the answer is "no, absolutely not." The extent of my travel is going to be 85% highway and 10% fire trails / dirt roads, with 5% being technical off-road driving just due to the ground clearance, etc. But to know that I'm only 1/2" away from getting a tire like the GG is making me want to figure it out. My current suspension setup, a 1" strut spacer from Anderson Design, allows my 205/70R15 winter tires (General Altimax). My thought is to get 1/2" spacers from ADF and mate them to the existing 1" spacers, which would allow the added clearance for the bigger tire with no rubbing. When I originally talked to Patrick from ADF, he said that issues would arise with more than a 2" lift, in the sense that it would be harder to get an alignment and multi-link spacers would be needed for the rear. If I add 1/2", it brings my total to 1.5". In theory, it works. In reality, I need to measure my clearance. Worst case, I get the Geolandars and they'd be more than sufficient.

Minor change - I have hated the chrome strip across the grille since the day we brought the car home, and I didn't like the idea of just painting it. Subaru makes a mesh "sport" grille, and I had planned on getting it eventually. Problem is that it's $250! I finally caved and took my grille out this past week, scuffed it up with some fine-grain sandpaper, and used a satin black on it; painted the fog light surrounds to match. Turned out better than I expected, honestly.

Looking forward to getting in some tax-time goodies! The trips for this year are being planned, and I'm eager to hit the road with this car.