Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday January 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 408658
Default 08 STI - The Storm Trooper build

Hello to NASIOC! Other than the classifieds, where I've spent way too much money, I'm new here from subaruforester.org.

I recently traded my 08 Forester XT for my new 08 STI hatch! Here's a picture of my old Foz:

Build thread for the foz: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...-trail-367689/

And my new STI!

OzarksAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

First thing I did was to get some tint on the storm trooper. 15% all around.

The car had an aftermarket grille when I got it that had a terrible white paint job, so I dipped that black.

Installed a bluetooth stereo with a little 4 inch screen that I got on Ebay out of a newer model Forester (Chinese model I believe). It plugged right up and works great, but some of the steering wheel controls are mixed up.

Last edited by OzarksAGD; 03-08-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

There was one thing wrong with this car from the beginning. It had a terribly chattery and inconsistent clutch. Not normal upgraded clutch chatter, but "you're going to rattle the dash off if you don't rev to 3500 just to get into first" chatter.

I ordered a Southbend Stage 1 clutch and my buddy set out to pull the tranny and get it installed. When we opened it up, it turns out that it had a lightweight flywheel as well as a worn clutch/bearings. No wonder it was rough.

Ordered an OEM flywheel and got the new Southbend installed. It drives like butter now, and I only have 100 miles on the break-in.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

Now it was time to get some new shoes.

After a lot of research I settled on BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S in as wide as I could fit. After having my OZ Ultraleggeras on my FXT, I grew to love their light weight and looks.

I ended up ordering some 275/35r18 G-Forces mounted on black 18x9 +55 OZ Ultraleggera's from tirerack.com.

Stacked next to some 225/45r18's from my fiance's TSX. Crazy how much taller the stack is.

Nice flat sidewall. No curbing these wheels!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

Got the new setup put on. I'm so thrilled with the results! I put a little too much filter on these images. Didn't realize it until I sent them from my phone to my computer.

So fat and meaty, no rubbing anywhere. The turn-in feels amazing and the steering actually lightened considerably, even with the significant widening. The OZ's are 7 pounds lighter per corner than the stock 5 spokes. The stock +55 offset retains stock steering feel and suspension geometry. I'm not a fan of tire poke. I'm much more about getting the most tire in contact with the ground.

Last edited by OzarksAGD; 03-08-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Shipman
Scooby Guru

Member#: 312847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
2008 Legacy/2003 Forester

I think I prefer your forester, but nice pick up.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
I think I prefer your forester, but nice pick up.
The Forester was amazing. I spent a massive amount of time and money making it into a great car, but I was making too many sacrifices and was right up to the point where I would've ended up swapping an STI 6-speed and build the motor in order to keep moving forward.

At that point I decided an STI was the platform I wanted to build on. Plus I am, and always have been, obsessed with the widebody hatch STI's.

I absolutely love this car so far!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
Shipman
Scooby Guru

Member#: 312847
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
2008 Legacy/2003 Forester

I understand, I would have made the same choice. I just have always had a soft spot for that year FXT. I want one in WRB really bad.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

I have decided to go a pretty specific direction with this build. I won't go into the details of how yet, but the goals are 450/450 to the wheels while retaining stock spool, drivability, functionality, and reliability. I don't plan on sacrificing, and am in the process of talking to some very talented and knowledgable people about partnerships on this build.

To keep things fresh in the mean time, I have done a few things to make spirited driving a bit more fun.

I picked up a Cobb catted downpipe used on the nasioc sale forum and wrapped the top third in DEI Titanium wrap. Also installed an AEM wideband AFR gauge to keep an eye on things.

Finished off the end with a Magnaflow cat back, also picked up from a forum member.

Mostly for sounds, but also for how clean it looks in the bay, OTS map support, etc, I installed a Cobb S/F intake and box. Also bought off a member (I have a problem with paying full retail).

I tied it all together with a Cobb V3 Acessport. Currently running Stage 2+SF 91 until the time comes to do more fun things.

Last edited by OzarksAGD; 04-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
jlitchkowski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 288316
Vehicle:
2011 STI
SWP

You sure that's an 08?
jlitchkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
jlitchkowski
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STI
SWP

^ But nice car, we have the same car basically and power goals, Will tune in for more.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlitchkowski View Post
You sure that's an 08?
Haha yeah I'm sure. It has a front bumper from an '11 WRX though, you know, just to confuse people.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

That picture of the bay really made me aware of just how bent the intercooler fins were. More than half were completely folded back and had to be hurting air flow. I think the previous owner hit it with a pressure washer. Anyways, I spent some time with a pocket knife straightening out all of the fins as best I could.

Halfway done:

Done:
Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #14
jlitchkowski
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STI
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksAGD View Post
Haha yeah I'm sure. It has a front bumper from an '11 WRX though, you know, just to confuse people.
Yup haha you got me
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #15
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

A friend of mine got a good shot out at my first SCCA Rallycross (in this car). I used to compete in my Forester.

I spent as much time as I could going sideways. It's not the best strategy for winning times, but makes the whole day really fun.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

For rallycross (and if it ever snows in NW Arkansas again) I bought a used set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and mounted them on my stock wheels. That's what is on the car in the last picture posted.

Here they are:
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #17
OzarksAGD
Scooby Newbie

Really excited about this one. Toll Booth Willey sent me a skid plate for the STI. I haven't gotten the chance to install it yet, but I'll post up some pictures of the unboxing and individual pieces.

The box, which was surprisingly light:

Opened it up to see lots of wadded up packing paper and all the pieces wrapped in saran wrap:

All unpacked, shows all of the pieces laid out:

Trap door one:

Trap door two:

Branding:

Initial impressions:

The finish and quality are exceptional. As you can see, everything came packed with care and there wasn't a scratch to be found anywhere on the product. It almost feels wrong to bolt such a pretty piece of metal underneath the car, but that's what it's for.

I initially reached out to Toll Booth Willey over other skid plate manufacturers for two main reasons. The first reason is that I like the idea of not having to remove the skid plate every time I do an oil change. The trap doors allow for that. The second reason is that I like the way the design bolts onto the front bumper. Other skid plates I've owned ended at the lower radiator. I feel that TBW's design will keep some more dust from the engine bay, while strengthening the structural integrity of the front bumper.

Once I get it installed, I'll post up some more pictures and have some feedback on fitment.

Last edited by OzarksAGD; 04-12-2016 at 01:31 PM.