Next we separated the engine from the transmission. Fun fact: you must undo the clutch's release leaver by removing it's shaft before the transmission and engine will separate (6MT only)
. This is basically how we took the car apart. Given that the car is on jackstands, and there isn't a lot of room to push the engine and tranny from underneath, it is safer to install them one at a time.
Next, we installed the control arms, and coilovers. We didn't install the wheel carrier today because we still needed to install the ball joint. We have new Whiteline upgrades, but needs the aluminum arm shims which still need to be pressed out. Once the wheel carries are in, we will have a rolling chassis again. Then we will be able to roll this baby out to power wash it clean.
We finished installing the wheel carriers, rotors, and brakes. Here it is with the wheel on to give you an idea.
I also got a replacement for the cracked timing cover on the left side. While we were in there, we inspected all of the belts and they more or less looked nearly new. I have new belts and timing kit for this project, but I think I will save them for later or perhaps for one of our other cars. Also, we did a compression test, 130 on all cylinders. We have a nice clean version 8 ej207; thanks JDM Racing Motors!
Part of me relishes the idea of doing a monster motor build, perhaps a 2.1 stroker, or perhaps bore out the block to use 100mm pistons and machine the heads, but the more practical part of me would feel sad breaking down a perfectly health motor. Besides, the version 8 should be built enough to run roughly 400 whp which should be fine if I run our STX 67 in twin scroll. If I go with our STX 71, I may be pushing it. In any case, I will rebuild the motor whenever it comes to that.