Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 19, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
grimysls
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 460522
Default Cobb xle bpv for 03 wrx no whistle ?

Soo my 03 wrx used to whistle that wonderful noise i love it but thats not the point a stupid mechanic played around with it and ever since i dont have that sound i have more of a swoosh do i need to tune my car can i readjust it ? As you can see i dont know much but im learning any feedback would be great thank you
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
martin028
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 401669
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Get a stock bpv and put that on. Unless you're making 400+whp or running more than like 23lbs of boost a new bpv/bov in unnecessary, and one that vents to atmosphere is detrimental
martin028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
grimysls
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin028 View Post
Get a stock bpv and put that on. Unless you're making 400+whp or running more than like 23lbs of boost a new bpv/bov in unnecessary, and one that vents to atmosphere is detrimental

Would putting stock bpv have same sound? And soo if not running high hp bpv would harm engine?
Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
martin028
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimysls View Post
Would putting stock bpv have same sound? And soo if not running high hp bpv would harm engine?
You can get the turbo sound by removing the resonator before the intake, located in the fender well. There is no issues running a bpv at high HP, the stock one, iirc, doesn't hold up past about 21 or so psi, so that would have to be upgraded. The only scenario where is would fine to run a bov and vent to atmosphere is if you are tuned using speed density. Running on MAF mode and venting to atmosphere creates a boost leak every time it opens and subsequently a rich condition. Since the amount of air evacuated during opening cannot be measured, it cannot be tuned for. A bpv routes the air back into the intake tract with no loss in metered air.

It is well known the stock intake system can handle around 420hp, and as a result there is no need to throw money at something that doesn't do anything but potentially create a leak.

If you really want the sound, a Cobb short ram intake and resonator delete will get you there. It won't be a loud whistle like, say, a supra, but you will hear it. Typically when I hear a stock looking subi with a loud bov I cringe a little, but that's just me.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank

Member#: 140114
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 Audi
A6 3.0T

A tune does ZERO for woosh sound, and this had nothing to do with Engine Management so it's been moved.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
grimysls
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
You can get the turbo sound by removing the resonator before the intake, located in the fender well. There is no issues running a bpv at high HP, the stock one, iirc, doesn't hold up past about 21 or so psi, so that would have to be upgraded. The only scenario where is would fine to run a bov and vent to atmosphere is if you are tuned using speed density. Running on MAF mode and venting to atmosphere creates a boost leak every time it opens and subsequently a rich condition. Since the amount of air evacuated during opening cannot be measured, it cannot be tuned for. A bpv routes the air back into the intake tract with no loss in metered air.

It is well known the stock intake system can handle around 420hp, and as a result there is no need to throw money at something that doesn't do anything but potentially create a leak.

If you really want the sound, a Cobb short ram intake and resonator delete will get you there. It won't be a loud whistle like, say, a supra, but you will hear it. Typically when I hear a stock looking subi with a loud bov I cringe a little, but that's just me.

Thank you for the information i appreciate it alot i really like it but if it will affect me i rather take it off car was bought with bpv i didnt do it im just starting of learning sorry . But okay cool i have resonator delete just did it yesterday actually pops like a charm no flames tho
Old 04-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
martin028
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimysls View Post
Thank you for the information i appreciate it alot i really like it but if it will affect me i rather take it off car was bought with bpv i didnt do it im just starting of learning sorry . But okay cool i have resonator delete just did it yesterday actually pops like a charm no flames tho
By resonator delete I mean the wierd snorkel looking hunk of plastic in the front passenger side fender well. It makes intake noises louder. Separate from anything to do with the exhaust
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
grimysls
Scooby Newbie

Ohhh okay lol got it wrong thing
Old 04-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
grimysls
Scooby Newbie

Thank you tho this is my go to when i have questions
Old 04-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
grimysls
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
By resonator delete I mean the wierd snorkel looking hunk of plastic in the front passenger side fender well. It makes intake noises louder. Separate from anything to do with the exhaust

Soo switch to stock bov and i can use this once im up there in the high hp
Old 04-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
andyfloyd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87587
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

if you like the cobb BOV KEEP IT, people on this forum will tell you to not use it but its not hurting anything at all. The rich condition they speak of is SO MINOR that it practically makes no difference at all. This forum's users love to say "search" or "OMG a bov will break your car". Do what you want to, cobb is a reputable company they arent going to sell something that will upset your car. /rant over
andyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #12
Valarius Starchaser
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459312
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
if you like the cobb BOV KEEP IT, people on this forum will tell you to not use it but its not hurting anything at all. The rich condition they speak of is SO MINOR that it practically makes no difference at all. This forum's users love to say "search" or "OMG a bov will break your car". Do what you want to, cobb is a reputable company they arent going to sell something that will upset your car. /rant over
Valarius Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Dont_Blink
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465953
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
SRP

Cobb SF Intake with a box makes turbo noises way better IMO, BOV gets annoying after like 3 weeks, had one my gsx.
Dont_Blink is offline   Reply With Quote