Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 19, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default Cobb xle bpv for 03 wrx no whistle ?

Soo my 03 wrx used to whistle that wonderful noise i love it but thats not the point a stupid mechanic played around with it and ever since i dont have that sound i have more of a swoosh do i need to tune my car can i readjust it ? As you can see i dont know much but im learning any feedback would be great thank you
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
martin028
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 401669
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Get a stock bpv and put that on. Unless you're making 400+whp or running more than like 23lbs of boost a new bpv/bov in unnecessary, and one that vents to atmosphere is detrimental
martin028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin028 View Post
Get a stock bpv and put that on. Unless you're making 400+whp or running more than like 23lbs of boost a new bpv/bov in unnecessary, and one that vents to atmosphere is detrimental


Would putting stock bpv have same sound? And soo if not running high hp bpv would harm engine?
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
martin028
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 401669
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimysls View Post
Would putting stock bpv have same sound? And soo if not running high hp bpv would harm engine?
You can get the turbo sound by removing the resonator before the intake, located in the fender well. There is no issues running a bpv at high HP, the stock one, iirc, doesn't hold up past about 21 or so psi, so that would have to be upgraded. The only scenario where is would fine to run a bov and vent to atmosphere is if you are tuned using speed density. Running on MAF mode and venting to atmosphere creates a boost leak every time it opens and subsequently a rich condition. Since the amount of air evacuated during opening cannot be measured, it cannot be tuned for. A bpv routes the air back into the intake tract with no loss in metered air.

It is well known the stock intake system can handle around 420hp, and as a result there is no need to throw money at something that doesn't do anything but potentially create a leak.

If you really want the sound, a Cobb short ram intake and resonator delete will get you there. It won't be a loud whistle like, say, a supra, but you will hear it. Typically when I hear a stock looking subi with a loud bov I cringe a little, but that's just me.
martin028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2013 Audi
A6 3.0T

Default

A tune does ZERO for woosh sound, and this had nothing to do with Engine Management so it's been moved.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin028 View Post
You can get the turbo sound by removing the resonator before the intake, located in the fender well. There is no issues running a bpv at high HP, the stock one, iirc, doesn't hold up past about 21 or so psi, so that would have to be upgraded. The only scenario where is would fine to run a bov and vent to atmosphere is if you are tuned using speed density. Running on MAF mode and venting to atmosphere creates a boost leak every time it opens and subsequently a rich condition. Since the amount of air evacuated during opening cannot be measured, it cannot be tuned for. A bpv routes the air back into the intake tract with no loss in metered air.

It is well known the stock intake system can handle around 420hp, and as a result there is no need to throw money at something that doesn't do anything but potentially create a leak.

If you really want the sound, a Cobb short ram intake and resonator delete will get you there. It won't be a loud whistle like, say, a supra, but you will hear it. Typically when I hear a stock looking subi with a loud bov I cringe a little, but that's just me.


Thank you for the information i appreciate it alot i really like it but if it will affect me i rather take it off car was bought with bpv i didnt do it im just starting of learning sorry . But okay cool i have resonator delete just did it yesterday actually pops like a charm no flames tho
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
martin028
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 401669
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimysls View Post
Thank you for the information i appreciate it alot i really like it but if it will affect me i rather take it off car was bought with bpv i didnt do it im just starting of learning sorry . But okay cool i have resonator delete just did it yesterday actually pops like a charm no flames tho
By resonator delete I mean the wierd snorkel looking hunk of plastic in the front passenger side fender well. It makes intake noises louder. Separate from anything to do with the exhaust
martin028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Ohhh okay lol got it wrong thing
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Thank you tho this is my go to when i have questions
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin028 View Post
By resonator delete I mean the wierd snorkel looking hunk of plastic in the front passenger side fender well. It makes intake noises louder. Separate from anything to do with the exhaust


Soo switch to stock bov and i can use this once im up there in the high hp
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
andyfloyd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87587
Join Date: May 2005
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

Default

if you like the cobb BOV KEEP IT, people on this forum will tell you to not use it but its not hurting anything at all. The rich condition they speak of is SO MINOR that it practically makes no difference at all. This forum's users love to say "search" or "OMG a bov will break your car". Do what you want to, cobb is a reputable company they arent going to sell something that will upset your car. /rant over
andyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #12
Valarius Starchaser
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459312
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
if you like the cobb BOV KEEP IT, people on this forum will tell you to not use it but its not hurting anything at all. The rich condition they speak of is SO MINOR that it practically makes no difference at all. This forum's users love to say "search" or "OMG a bov will break your car". Do what you want to, cobb is a reputable company they arent going to sell something that will upset your car. /rant over
Valarius Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Dont_Blink
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465953
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oregon
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
SRP

Default

Cobb SF Intake with a box makes turbo noises way better IMO, BOV gets annoying after like 3 weeks, had one my gsx.
Dont_Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.