Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 24, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Mr_Furious
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298713
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza, Wagon
Blue

Default Header HELL

So this weekend I installed a header on my 97 impreza with a 1.8l

following much advice that I read on various forums, I got a dual port for a 2.5rs.

To start I should say that I broke the factory exhaust manifold a couple of weeks ago and had to replace it.
Even the local Lordco parts shop said go buy one off ebay.

And I did.

But install was such a bitch.

the ports for the heads were about 1.5-2 inches too close together so I had to put one side on then stretch the other side to mount on the passenger side head.

that was fairly tough when you're lying on your back.

The gaskets were ok-ish but the holes on the manifold gaskets seemed about a 1/4 inch smaller than the ports. and the port on the gasket for the cat seemed about a 1/4 inch too big.

it all bolted up but I guess I'll have to see about any leaks.

Anyone else had this kind of fitment issue.
Secondly will there be any detrimental effects from the manifold gaskets being smaller than the ports. (wondering if i should have cut the holes bigger) Should I replace the gaskets or will it even matter
My concern is the gasket will burn off a bit and clog up the cat.

On the positive the car sounds better. and the butt dyno feels much more responsive.

Now I have to replace the rest of the exhaust with a catback. So the plan is to get a cheap wrx exhaust and do the flange modification to it so it will mount up.

I cleared the existing cel but have a new one. but I'll have to scan it to figure which code it is now.
Mr_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
5k077
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128235
Vehicle:
2007 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Furious View Post
the ports for the heads were about 1.5-2 inches too close together so I had to put one side on then stretch the other side to mount on the passenger side head.
How did you manage this? My ebay header is the same way but I can't stretch metal :P
5k077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Mr_Furious
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298713
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza, Wagon
Blue

you have to loosen the cat/exhaust support to remove the old one by lowering it down first.

what I did is mount the cat to the header first.
then lifted the header up and put on the left/driver side and attached 1 bolt to hold it in place. loosely but securely.

then I turned to the side and pulled on the right side....It takes a fair bit of strenght and pulling but it will give a bit.
then when it was just about to mount I just got it on one exhaust stud put 1 bolt on it to hold it in place then attached the other bolts and slowely tightened them all till it pulled the flanges up to the heads and tightened them up.

on a side note I got a uel header....I don't know if a equal length header would be the same...but I'm sure it would be similar.

IN HINDSIGHT.....it would have been easier to make a wedge out of wood ....like a door stop and tapped it in between the two pipes to spread them....maybe this will work for you.
Mr_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote