Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 27, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 419593
Default FA20DIT about to change my oil. Any issues with this specific brand ?

Hello,

I am about to change my oil on the WRX and want to stay away from dealer oil after reading the oil thread. I just wanted to see if there are any issues using this Quaker State 5W-30 Ultimate Euro spec. Attached is the spec sheet.

http://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/pro...Euro_5W-30.pdf

Thanks in advance.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454620
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Calcium is too high for me. Click the link on the first post. If you read the whole thread there are a couple Subaru DI guys that comment on that as well. Seems like a good oil though, just maybe not for Low Speed Pre Ignition. I am not an expert here. Maybe Bluesubie will chime in.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4060631/1
JRowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
tramp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459629
Vehicle:
2017 WRX base
WR Blue

Where did you find a calcium number in that thread?
tramp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
Where did you find a calcium number in that thread?
http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30dexos.html#

This link was in the first guys post.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

I am using this, not saying it's right or wrong. But look at the difference and the price is similarly cheap.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobil1.htm

And I like the Boron. based on this and some other stuff I have read.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=729116
Old 03-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

And Tramp, Straight6, and anyone else who goes researches and questions what to run read this:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2657990

and the sticky gpshumway and Dennis (Bluesubie) put together in this subforum. There are a lot of smart people that posted in the analysis thread. I just got this car not too long ago, I started doing the homework right away. I know I would like to run Mobil1 ESP but I'm racking up the miles quickly and that's just too much loot for me to stomach for oil. I'm not tuned and I'm not tracking the car, yet. I know what I'm going to do when I get there and for now I'm going with cheap, readily available, and hassle free with Subaru if I break because it's what the owners manual says they want. I'm doing the used oil analysis for now just to double check my decision. One down, probably 2 to go and then I'm done with the research. Either way, I'm not hurting anything doing what I'm doing and I learned a bunch reading all of that.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRowland View Post
Calcium is too high for me. Click the link on the first post. If you read the whole thread there are a couple Subaru DI guys that comment on that as well. Seems like a good oil though, just maybe not for Low Speed Pre Ignition. I am not an expert here. Maybe Bluesubie will chime in.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4060631/1
Thanks. I saw the calcium level but it seems like it is on pair with the OEM oil and I believe the Euro spec is a little different than this US spec grade. Not sure how that would effect the calcium in it but the description says it is used for high performance, turbo engines.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
And Tramp, Straight6, and anyone else who goes researches and questions what to run read this:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2657990

and the sticky gpshumway and Dennis (Bluesubie) put together in this subforum. There are a lot of smart people that posted in the analysis thread. I just got this car not too long ago, I started doing the homework right away. I know I would like to run Mobil1 ESP but I'm racking up the miles quickly and that's just too much loot for me to stomach for oil. I'm not tuned and I'm not tracking the car, yet. I know what I'm going to do when I get there and for now I'm going with cheap, readily available, and hassle free with Subaru if I break because it's what the owners manual says they want. I'm doing the used oil analysis for now just to double check my decision. One down, probably 2 to go and then I'm done with the research. Either way, I'm not hurting anything doing what I'm doing and I learned a bunch reading all of that.
I read that entire thread and now I am more confused than ever. Seems that OEM oil is not good but anything that is high performance has too much calcium...I have no clue what to use lol.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Read this:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2714154

Pick one based on what you want to spend and how hard you want to look for it. Run an analysis when you change it to see how it did. Use oil analyzers and ask for the fuel dilution test when you send it in so you can see the numbers (Blackstone doesn't really test it they just make an educated guess). Re-evaluate when you get the results. Stay out of heavy throttle at low RPMs and regardless of the calcium content or the brand you will probably be just fine as long as you change it regularly. If you have mods and a tune things are different so speak up if that is the case.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Read this:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2714154

Pick one based on what you want to spend and how hard you want to look for it. Run an analysis when you change it to see how it did. Use oil analyzers and ask for the fuel dilution test when you send it in so you can see the numbers (Blackstone doesn't really test it they just make an educated guess). Re-evaluate when you get the results. Stay out of heavy throttle at low RPMs and regardless of the calcium content or the brand you will probably be just fine as long as you change it regularly. If you have mods and a tune things are different so speak up if that is the case.
I sent you a PM. As far as mods go, maybe AP OTS 1 in the future nothing more. I change oil every 3-3.5K but short trips so would be considered extreme conditions. Looks like Mobil 1 will do.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
tramp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX base
WR Blue

After the factory fill and a run of M1 5W30 I've settled on LE 8531 for the duration.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
After the factory fill and a run of M1 5W30 I've settled on LE 8531 for the duration.
Is it really red?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
tramp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX base
WR Blue

Red or amber. You can get it undyed.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
How was M1 ? Seems like a cheap and good alternative to OEM oil. I am still not sold on the ESP vs M1.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
tramp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX base
WR Blue

Still in the car. No consumption and I'm not going to waste the money on a UOA 'cause I'm going with another brand. According to Bobistheoilguy.com it shears down to a 20 weight but it's far from the only 5w30 that does. I'd say if you're stock and drive sane it'd be a decent choice. Wouldn't run it more than the recommended OCI though.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Still in the car. No consumption and I'm not going to waste the money on a UOA 'cause I'm going with another brand. According to Bobistheoilguy.com it shears down to a 20 weight but it's far from the only 5w30 that does. I'd say if you're stock and drive sane it'd be a decent choice. Wouldn't run it more than the recommended OCI though.
Cheers. I can get it really cheap and change it myself every 3,000 miles. Win, win.
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #17
Straight6
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I am not sure if this is a repost but it seems like M1 is a pretty solid choice:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...0-vs-0w30.html