Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 27, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default 2003 wrx wont start/crank. Interminent starting problem..

I have a 2003 subaru wrx 5 speed manual tranny . Sometimes my car will not start after shutting it off. Its an iterminent starting problem. Battery is good while it doesnt start up ive tested and it has had good voltage. Actually is second battery ive tested it with. Clutch safety switch is bypassed. I put a new starter. So now i dont know what it could be please help i also have an aftermarket alarm system. Any tips ideas tests? Anything would help thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
fogleroller
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135105
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Earth
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Blue

Default

Verify the ground cable has a good connection. You will probably have to remove the intercooler. Make sure there is no corrosion on both cables.
fogleroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
Charlie-III
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimysls View Post
I have a 2003 subaru wrx 5 speed manual tranny . Sometimes my car will not start after shutting it off. Its an iterminent starting problem. Battery is good while it doesnt start up ive tested and it has had good voltage. Actually is second battery ive tested it with. Clutch safety switch is bypassed. I put a new starter. So now i dont know what it could be please help i also have an aftermarket alarm system. Any tips ideas tests? Anything would help thanks
Sounds more like a "no crank", is this correct?
Could be the alarm, do you have any info on it?
Have you checked all the fuses?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Yeahh wont crank the starting circuit has power but just wont crank second starter that a mechanic has said that i need but problem still remains
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Charlie-III
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

How far does the starting circuit have power? When you twist the key to start, do you get a 12 volt signal to the starter?
If yes, then it's a bad starter/starter solenoid, or a weak ground.
If no, could be a bad connection, failed fuse, failed relay, alarm tripped, etc.

You can always use a cable between the starter positive to the starter solenoid "signal wire" and see if the starter spins. If it does, it's not the starter.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Allweathermechanic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417759
Join Date: Apr 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: clifton
Default

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose positive battery connector to cable. It was an easy fix.
Allweathermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
How far does the starting circuit have power? When you twist the key to start, do you get a 12 volt signal to the starter?
If yes, then it's a bad starter/starter solenoid, or a weak ground.
If no, could be a bad connection, failed fuse, failed relay, alarm tripped, etc.

You can always use a cable between the starter positive to the starter solenoid "signal wire" and see if the starter spins. If it does, it's not the starter.


Yes i get 12 v signal to starter just put in second starter problem went away but came back today
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
grimysls
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 460522
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allweathermechanic View Post
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose positive battery connector to cable. It was an easy fix.


I should just replace ground and positive wire to starter then
grimysls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Charlie-III
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allweathermechanic View Post
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose positive battery connector to cable. It was an easy fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimysls View Post
I should just replace ground and positive wire to starter then
If your cable connections are loose or dirty/corroded, just fix them (battery end as well as starter/engine end).

If your cables are bad (typical is corrosion inside the insulation which makes the cable stiff in that spot and bubbles up the insulation), replace what is bad.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.