Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday March 29, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
jollykreiger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411575
Default 1996 Impreza Frankenmotor build

So I finally got almost everything together for the engine build and need some final advice.

My 1996 Impreza L 2.2l is pouring oil out all of the seal and is under-powered for what I want.

So what I have gathered so far is a 1998 Outback 2.5L DOHC (complete engine) that had a lightly blown head gasket. (he still had all the old oil and coolant sitting in buckets still, LOL)

I also have a set of complete heads that were given to me that as far as I can tell are phase 2 ej22 heads. (I had the entire engine but scrapped the rest of it when I moved)

The last pieces I have is of course the Phase 1 that is in the car right now.

I plan on using the ej25 short block, but beyond that I really dont care much. When I get into actually swapping engines I want that to go as fast as possible. Therefore I would like to use the phase 2 heads or even the ej25 heads as long as I can make the engine bolt in and run as quickly as possible and not install head-gaskets halfway into the swap.

I read somewhere that the phase 1 intake will not work on the phase 2 heads, but what about the ej25 intake?

So in your guys opinion which heads would you use with which intake?
jollykreiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing LLC
search FIRST, then PM!!!

If you have a 98 Outback 2.5, it's a phase 1 DOHC engine.

No matter which way you go, this isn't going to be a fast or powerful engine. You'd be better off, considering the assumed budget of next to none, getting an SOHC EJ251 (non varaible lift) and basically putting your EJ22 harness on it. Then you'll still need some form of engine management to correct for the timing and fueling. Greddy Emanage or some other heap.

The better route is to just get the 2.2 running while you save your money for a proper swap.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
jollykreiger
Scooby Newbie

I guess I did not state my plans for the vehicle.

The car is my daily driver that I use for everything from getting grocerys (of course) to camping and towing my motorcycle or 12 ft boat when I go fishing.

I have just enough power now to do everything I want, but my bronco 2 with a 150 hp 4.0l does the towing better.

The ej25 put out 165 hp stock and slightly less tq than the 4.0l in my bronco.

With this in my impreza I feel it would satisfy all my needs. I also do not want to be dealing with tuning everything and from what I have read I would not need to change the tune with the engine I want.

I thought I read I could put the phase one ej25 with dohc directly in no problems, but I cannot find that now. Or I know I can reuse my current head without any problems, gain CR and power throughout the midrange (right where I tow at) but then I have to swap the heads in the middle of swapping the engine which I would like to avoid if I can. Which is why I would like to install the phase 2 ej22 heads that I already have if it is possible.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
jollykreiger
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

So I was going to write a new post, but I came across my old post so I will just add onto here.

I completed the build in October I think it was. And it runs great for the most part.

I ended up reusing my phase 1 heads/ intake. With Cometic head gaskets and the aforementioned EJ25 short block.

The only hiccups I had were on the bell housing some bolts were studs and others were bolts, so I just removed them to match the origional setup. And the alternator/ PS belt was now too long, I purchased a shorter belt when I got tired of the squealing.

I know the belt should not have been different, and have no explanation as to why. But if thats the only problem I had I am ok with that.

I gained highway mpgs but lost city mpgs, but I half expected that.

Before I would get 23-24 mpgs hwy, and now on 91 octane I get 27 mpg.
In town before was 17-20mpgs depending, now 15-17 mpgs.

I stated 91 octane because I would run mid grade, but it would have a little less power and would get 24 mpg highway, but it never missed and I never noticed the pinging. But it had to have had at least some ping and I know I must run 91 octane.

As for power gains, it is a huge difference from low to mid rpms (right where I expected it) and at least 24% in the higher rpms.

I know this because I went from 1000' elevation where I had flat out maxed the car, now at 7000' I have a higher top speed than before at 1k' even though using the science there is a 24% percent power drop in NA engines due to the altitude change.

The only downsides the this swap (for me at least) is running 91 octane and sitting at a stoplight it has a slightly rougher idle (understandable with HC engines and an AT trans).

Just to clairify for anyone interested in what I did here, because I have never seen the swap like I did it. I used 1996 EJ22 heads, intake, exhaust, timing, flex plate. Then 1998 EJ25 Block, rotating assbly., Crank pulley (the original one had come loose and had become slightly damaged).

I did not use aftermarket cams, intake, headers, ecu or anything really.
The only part that was not to OEM specs were the head gaskets from Cometic to ensure I did not have heating issues.