Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday June 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 288942
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

Default 2011 wrx stock bpv strange noise

Hey guys,

I went stage 2 about a month and a half ago. shorlty after i noticed my oem bypass valve began making a whiste noise when it lets off. The noise has begun to sound like a turkey gobbling lol. All the connections are tight and it is functioning properly but it sounds ridiculous. Any insight?
cablegorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
MIKEY TD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 276702
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Satin white pearl

buy a forge bpv. there pretty cheep and yer stock bpv dosnt like the boost yer pushin.there only good up 2 16 psi or so
MIKEY TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

I'm just wondering if it's the bypas valve or something else. It holds boost just fine. When i let off and it vents is when the noise happens. It's a long drawn out whistle sound. Anyone else experience this ?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
lickitysplitwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 276859

Anything weird under throttle?
lickitysplitwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

It seems to be holding strong. No flat spots or stuttering. It will boost straight to 18.5 lbs and hold there until it tapers off according to the map specs. It makes a flutter noise which leads me to believe it may be slightly leaking. But why does it make the turkey gobble noise whens its venting? Its like this shrill whistle with gobble noise. I wounder if the thing just has had it and is slowly eating itself because it is getting more pronounced.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
WRX_20II
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298108
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Spark Silver Metallic

Sounds like the classic throttle body to intercooler hose issue. Take the intercooler off and inspect the hose, more than likely it's loose. Numerous people have had this issue being stock and tuned. Luckily it's an easy fix ;7
WRX_20II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

I will have to give this a shot. Luckily I have a new bpv coming in in the next few days so I will take it off all at once. Thanks for the input. If I ever get to te bottom of this I will let you guys know. I just don't think it's a boost leak. It doesn't sound like it is anyway. I will try to get a video of it up tomorrow. The strange thing is that it doesnt do it when on the throttle. Only once I let off
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Geoffwehler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 257814
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
09 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_20II
Sounds like the classic throttle body to intercooler hose issue. Take the intercooler off and inspect the hose, more than likely it's loose. Numerous people have had this issue being stock and tuned. Luckily it's an easy fix ;7
I had this problem in my 09. It only whistled under boost though. It was leaking, but not so bad that the turbo was still able to achieve max boost (stage 2). Mine also seemed to run fine. It runs 10X better fixed. Your noise is when your in vacuum, or lifting. I'd be looking at all the hoses around the intercooler/ bpv/ throttle body areas as well.
Geoffwehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

I have looked at them all and there is no leak as far as I can see. Yes it is under vacuum when the noise happens and it still maintains normal vacuum levels at 22 in hg. I'm at a loss lol. Maybe the inlet has a loose connection. This is gonna be like finding a needle in a haystack. Hopefully it's just the bpv. It drives me nuts
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
eronenris
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262992
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX - Stage 2
Satin White Pearl

i had the same issue i guess the stock bpv gets stuck open and slowly closes so it kinda chirps in the process and it makes that noise....mine did the same every time i went into boost or even light vacuum for a couple of weeks and i finally decided it wasn't going away so i tried servicing it with some lithium grease and it didnt fix the problem so i bought an aftermarket bpv and the sound went away and has not come back.
eronenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
dillonlightman88
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 287889
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx

i would do a thorough check for leaks by introducing compressed air via your turbo inlet and sit there with a spray bottle and a good ear.
dillonlightman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

Agreed. I will try it. Is there a certain pressure I should try? I have a compressor. Can I use that?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
dillonlightman88
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 287889
Vehicle:
2008 Wrx

I frequent this site but I am no means an "expert" for anything extremely Subaru specific. I am using general mechanical knowledge.

There are several DIYs that I have basically accidentally stumbled upon from time to time on this subject so a search is probably in order, since I am no certain of what others have done that have worked. A pressure around 20 psi is probably safe. But its possible that the plumbing can handle quite a bit more then that. I think a couple lines need to be removed and plugged to properly do this type of test.

Yes you don't have much of another option but to use your compressor unless you've got one hell of a lung. In wich case you should drop what your doing, and go do something that's going to make you enough money to pay someone to go turn your air compressor on and charge your inlet.

Be sure you don't just hook your compressor straight up to your turbo inlt. You need to regulate the air some how. Plumbing a manual check valve, and a psi gauge into this test system is going to be the way to go. That way you can just trickle a bit of pressure into the system, close the valve, and monitor how quickly your pressure is dropping. That's going to be a good check, on top of looking and listening.
dillonlightman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

So I pulled the intercooler off and checked the intercooler to throttle body hose today. Tight as a nuns $$$. That is not the issue. I then traced the vacuum lines and found no issues. All connections are tight. I am sold that the issue is the bypass valve. If not I guess it could maybe be the up pipe leaking when I let off but I feel like that is a stretch. I guess I will just have to see when the new valve comes in of it solves the issue or not
Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
pet3r
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 283134
Vehicle:
2015 STi LE
EFR7163 500whp/550wtq

I have a Forge BPV and I get the squeal when you let off. Assumed it was part of the process. It will squeal more if I'm at 75% throttle, figured it's trying to regulate boost I guess...maybe I need a stronger spring? Holds boost all the way to 24psi WOT.
pet3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
lickitysplitwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 276859

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet3r View Post
I have a Forge BPV and I get the squeal when you let off. Assumed it was part of the process. It will squeal more if I'm at 75% throttle, figured it's trying to regulate boost I guess...maybe I need a stronger spring? Holds boost all the way to 24psi WOT.
Yellow spring is good up till 23lb. You may need to put the blue in if you haven't already.
lickitysplitwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

So it ends up there is no issue at all lol. The noise is the turbo scrolling down haha. My first turbo car so all these noises scare the hell out of me
Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickitysplitwrx View Post
Yellow spring is good up till 23lb. You may need to put the blue in if you haven't already.
This is completely incorrect and I don't know why the Forge website misleads people in this way. The spring that you have installed in the Forge valve has NOTHING to do with how much boost you can hold. When the car is under boost, there is equal pressure on either side of the piston. The design of the Forge valve has a larger area on the top side of the piston. The results in a net downward force that holds the valve closed. It would stay closed under boost even with no spring at all. This is the case for just about all push type valves.

The spring simply provides a bias closed and controls how quickly and far the valve lifts. In some designs the spring holds the valve closed at idle (ie. vent to atmosphere valves). In these valves you must have proper spring tension so that the valve stays closed at idle or you will have idling issues. Most recirculating valves (including the Forge) are designed to be open at idle. You can really use the lightest spring you want. And the lighter the spring you use, the less compressor surge/flutter you will hear when you let off.

The above comments to NOT apply to the stock valve. The stock valve has no adjustments or maintenance that can be performed. If it is not opening correctly when you left off, then I would suggest trying a different valve. But I would also note that some flutter/surge isn't a big issue. And if you have an intake you may be hearing it more, even though it's not doing anything different than before. If the sound is excessive, then try a new valve.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegorilla View Post
So it ends up there is no issue at all lol. The noise is the turbo scrolling down haha. My first turbo car so all these noises scare the hell out of me
If it happens when you let off, then it's not the turbo spooling. It also does not sound like it is any of the common leaks. I would just wait and see if it changes once you swap the BPV.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegorilla View Post
if you new to subarus, you are gonna hear all sorts of strange noises. they arent the quietest of vehicles out there.lol
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
MIKEY TD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Satin white pearl

def just yer stock bpv
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEY TD View Post
def just yer stock bpv

whats with all the quotes in the one quote? is that supposed to be helpful?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
cablegorilla
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 wrx premium sed
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
If it happens when you let off, then it's not the turbo spooling. It also does not sound like it is any of the common leaks. I would just wait and see if it changes once you swap the BPV.
Yeah I agree. I dont believe it is leaking boost anywhere. I do have a cobb bellmouth downpipe and I believe it is just the sound of the compressor slowing down? either way it does not effect the performance or anything like that it is just noisy as hell. I tried to get a video/sound clip of the noise but it is not loud enough for the iphone to pick it up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
if you new to subarus, you are gonna hear all sorts of strange noises. they arent the quietest of vehicles out there.lol
Oh I am starting to realize this.....lol
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #24
MIKEY TD
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Satin white pearl

sorry bout all the quotes lol fat fingers