Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
AndrewFD3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210458
Vehicle:
2003 wrx built ej207
Rally blue

Default burning oil

I've got a built ej207, fully forged, stock v7 heads, I just had my turbo rebuilt and under wot a puff of blue smoke will appear, its random sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Did a compression test today and all cylinders were between 125-130 psi. My cpr ratio is 8:5:1. Any ideas? I know I'm running stupid rich and I'm thinking maybe valve seals? By the way I'm not losing oil.
AndrewFD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
rstinut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 143993
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2011 wrx
white

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFD3 View Post
I know I'm running stupid rich and I'm thinking maybe valve seals? By the way I'm not losing oil.
did you check your oil for gas mixing in it? could be washing the cylinders if your runing super rich.
rstinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
jkopinga
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220799
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
WRC Blue

Running rich isn't very kind to cylinder walls and will certainly cause premature wear. I would definitely look into that and get that sorted ASAP.

Have you idled the car for several minutes to see if smoke appears? Try to idle the car for say 5 minutes and then do a quick blip on the throttle to see if a cloud of smoke appears. If it does I would be more inclined to say that the turbo has seen its best time even though you got it rebuilt doesn't mean its been solved. I have had turbos sent out for rebuilding and they came back smoking more than I sent them out

If the valve seals have major issue I would suspect that you would see heavy smoking when doing a High RPM overrun where you rev the car high in gear and let go off the throttle and let it coast down under deceleration. If it starts smoking it could be valve seals. Broken valve seals will usually show themselves as oil is being sucked in under vacuum NOT when running WOT.

Cheers,

Jasper.
jkopinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
AndrewFD3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210458
Vehicle:
2003 wrx built ej207
Rally blue

Well no gas in my oil, I let my car idle for 5 mins and reved and no smoke. No smoke on start up either. My friend drove behind me and said it smells like gas, got it re tuned and still the same issue. No loss in power. However, I did a little pull and I saw black smoke for the first time before I got it re-tuned, so I was running rich. Sometimes if I park my car on a incline it will smoke on start up. I'm leaning towards bad turbo seal...AGAIN lol. Thx guys for your help
AndrewFD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
crazy_flip
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290253
Vehicle:
2007 Sti atp gtx3076
Pearl white

I had a issue like this after a rebuild the smell of gas if I was running rich. Check your front 02 sensor on your dp it might be going bad
crazy_flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
jkopinga
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220799
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
WRC Blue

^^^ correct but this should show up during logging. Also if he says he has had a tune that would be something most tuners would certainly check.

Especially since the OE sensor is in the DP it is reasonably accurate even under boost. So I guess you should never see AFRs below 11.3 thereabouts. Personally I would run 11.4-11.5s on a 2.0L but should be confirmed with a wbO2.

Cheers,

Jasper.
jkopinga is offline   Reply With Quote