Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 26, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
makofoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25243
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy Outback
Blue

Default Wiring Diagram Wrong for Horn Wire ? Photo

The wiring diagram for our '02 WRX definitely shows Green wire with Red Stripe being the one to tap into for the horn with our aftermarket MOMO wheel. But when we vampire into that wire, it flicks the headlights ?!

I tried touching some of the other red/green wires but the only ones that do anything seem to be the ones wired for lights.

Suggestion ...

makofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

there are.... a few....errors in that 02 usdm impreza fsm

and 'aftermarket' MOMO???

all usdm wrx's 02 had a MOMO steering wheel from the factory....god I hated that wheel

sorry...that's all I got

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 06-19-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
makofoto
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 Legacy Outback
Blue

Haha, ya, it's been years since I had my WRX ... but it IS an aftermarket MOMO wheel we're dealing with. :-)

Thanks 4 confirming the mistake. Steve at Suby Specialties/Monrovia, Ca should solve it in a few seconds.

Btw. Should three loose wraps of wire be OK for allowing steering wheel movement? Any Tips on that aspect? I've got my Z06's quick release steering wheel to finish up next
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

You should be able to verify what the wire color is by comparing it to any of the wires going to the pin connections on the devices shown in the diagram. They are all the same color. The drawing shows the wire color for the horn control lead is red with green stripe, not green with red stripe. Standard drawings always show the main wire color as the first letter and the stripe color as the second letter of the color code. You seem to correct the mistake in the second paragraph but if the main wire color you are tapping into is green then that's your problem.

Last edited by Cougar4; 06-19-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
makofoto
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 Legacy Outback
Blue

Thanks ... we DID try the RED with Green Strip wire also ?! If I recall correctly ... it did something with the lights also ?!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Does that wire color match the color of the wire going to each of the pins on the components it ties to?
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
makofoto
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 Legacy Outback
Blue

"DID" the colors match ... don't know, I was helping on a friends car, but I believe so? I was just working with the Green/Red and Red/Green wires.