Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 10, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > BRZ Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Spark Elusive
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Dark Gray Metallic

Default Tail light condensation

Any one else having problems with tail light condensation? I took my car to the dealership about a month ago and they said that the tail lights in these cars are vented and condensation build up should go away...

Well there is about a quarter inch of standing water in my drivers side taillight.....I think I was lied to -.-

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Spark Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
FearBoy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 84529
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited
Lightning Red

I had a full blow terrarium in the left tail light. It will be replaced under warranty this Saturday. They are also replacing the right's gasket. I'd tell them to fix it or find a better dealership.
FearBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
cnk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10757
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Had condensation in both taillights and had them replaced under warranty. A few months later, started to see slight condensation again. I bought some thicker gaskets and sealed the gaskets to the taillights with some weatherstripping silicone sealant. No issues since. If the condensation does come back, I'm thinking of using some black waterproof tape to seal up the top of the taillight where it meets the body so that water doesn't go behind the taillight at all. The black tape should make it unnoticeable and is easily replaced/removed if necessary.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159474
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Yeah supposedly the 2014/2015 FT-86 were given thicker gaskets, but I think someone refuted that. I'm not sure. I know mine were COMPLETELY gunked when I took them off to put on the TOM'S. I get some condensation with the TOM'S, but not nearly as bad as the stock taillights. It's just how that drainage works when it's raining or car is washed, it goes right through (around) the taillights and the gasket just sucks.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
Woyiq
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36125
Chapter/Region: NWIC

My 2014 had a slight buildup on delivery. It got worse after a few days, but I had Tom's waiting to be swapped so I never bothered attempting to fix. Tom's has never had a problem at all even when being washed with high pressure system every time. I never compared the gaskets but I guess that would be the answer
Woyiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
JonnyRock
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 362877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark Elusive View Post
Any one else having problems with tail light condensation? I took my car to the dealership about a month ago and they said that the tail lights in these cars are vented and condensation build up should go away...

Well there is about a quarter inch of standing water in my drivers side taillight.....I think I was lied to -.-

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
This was probably the single most common issue with 2013 BRZ's. I personally had mine replaced/gaskets swapped at the dealer. If you check FT86Club.com there's a huge thread about it, including the TSB that you can point out to your dealer.

Honestly, all dealers should know this by now, it was that common.
JonnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

http://gasketninja.com/

Gonna order me a set of these.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #8
drewfisherman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 416768

I just had one of mine replaced today at the dealer. They looked at the standing water in it, took a pic to document it, ordered a new one on Friday and put it in on Monday at my convenience. Took about a half an hr.
drewfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
2011WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 251807

The real fix would be new updated seal and lens. It solved the issue.

First time they replaced with completely new tail light but still have the issue after few months.

Finally replaced the seals and lens and now issue fixed
2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

My taillights were doing pretty good until about last week. Now they're collecting water and fogging like crazy...
Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
jbailey8748
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389129
Vehicle:
2013 brz
satin white pearl

For this issue there is a tsb, if I remember correctly it has to do with bad gaskets and over torqued bolts
jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #12
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

The new gaskets still yield the same results though. I just cleaned out my taillights. Basically water is getting in air holes that are part of the taillight mold/design. I drained them and dried the gasket. My assumption is that when the gaskets get overly wet and are no longer able to absorb the water, the water find it's past the gaskets and gets into the designs holes in the lights. No clue what I can do about that since it seems there's less water build up when the gaskets are dried out compared to when they're soaked. My seal has help up just fine around the edges, so water isn't getting in between the the gaskets and taillights, but is getting in between the gaskets and body of the car.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #13
cnk
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Did you try to seal the gaskets to the tail light assembly with some sealant? I haven't had any issues since doing that. Some others on the other forum have used anything from tape to putty to fill in the top of the tail light and the car so that water streams over the tail light and out the back instead of being routed between the light and body.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Yeah, I added the sealant that ninjagaskets sent and it's still on there holding up pretty well. Yesterday I took my car to a bay wash that had a blow dryer. I turned the taillights upside down (lens facing up) and let the water drain out. Then I blasted the holes with the dryer. Nothing happened to the condensation inside the lenses. I blasted around the edges and in all of the holes, and tried to notice any reaction to the condensation in the lenses, but nothing moved.

However, there was more water that seemed to come out from underneath the gaskets from the innermost edges, not the outside edges where I put the sealant. The innermost edges are supposed to be clear from the outside elements. Something in the assembly is routing the water incorrectly and allowing them to pool at the bottom and create condensation. The lenses were clearing up after I drained them, but when I looked at them this morning they were all fogged up. I'm assuming that's from the moisture in the air because of the cooling at night?

While cleaning them I noticed a screw in the corner of the assembly that I presume helps hold them tight. I'm thinking I might bake the taillights in the oven and open them up to see if I can reapply some sealant within the assembly. Hopefully I don't jack up my $500 taillights...

When I first got the taillights in December of 2013, I only ever got slight condensation. Then it got worse, but never this bad. I purchased the ninjagasket kit and the condensation went away almost 100%, but then the last 6 weeks or so it's gotten worse than it's ever been. Even my stock taillights never had this kind of issue.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:00 AM   #15
cnk
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Your experience is the one reason why I've not purchased Tom's or any other tail lights. My stock units don't fog or get condensation right now so I don't want to touch them at all. Hope you're able to find a solution.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #16
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

The reason I changed up was because my stock ones fogged anyways, and they were ugly. I've really considered the Intec taillights because by design they can't fog, but some think they're rice. I do care what other people think because the general populous has to see the exterior more often than I do.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
TurboTom107
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 441201
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Lightning Red

Yeah, this was a common prob on the BRZ. Mine had this slightly until I changed to Spyder LED tails
TurboTom107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #18
andySub
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456597

May be it is time to get a Tom's LED taillight?
andySub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #19
cnk
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andySub View Post
May be it is time to get a Tom's LED taillight?

Sure. . if only they didn't have melting issues. Seems to be only with the clear units though.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #20
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

I sold my TOM'S. Clear, USDM. No melt, but they retained water way worse than any stock taillights I've seen on the Twins. I've since had JDM OEM taillights and they've been great. I miss the TOM'S because they look like OEM designed lights, but their quality did not match their asking price.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
cnk
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

The new OEM tail lights are nice, but I'm not willing to pay ~$800 for a pair. I did the gasket mod on my stock lights and that stopped all condensation. Just not worth it to me to muck around with them and end up with condensation or other issues.