Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 25, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
kyle sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157718
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: BAY AREA
Vehicle:
07 SWP STi
WFC OG #036

Default Steering Angle Sensor Calibration?

My DCCD light is on open since I have installed my aftermarket steering wheel. I have reset the position of the steering angle sensor/roll connector per service guide, but the light is still blinking. Do I need to re-calibrate the sensor using the subaru select monitor? Or do I need to just clear the code too?

Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kyle sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
kyle sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157718
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: BAY AREA
Vehicle:
07 SWP STi
WFC OG #036

Default

bump. no one knows?
kyle sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
awakethroughmotion
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 199512
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Vehicle:
06 wrb STi
2013 F150 XLT

Default

Bump.

Last edited by awakethroughmotion; 10-23-2017 at 02:42 AM.
awakethroughmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
jose_a_v31
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza STi
WRB

Default

I have the same problem. I did a 09 sti swap in my 06, it's not the roll connector, it's just the steering angle sensor that is mounted on the back on the clockspring. Go to Subaru and have them hook the SSM3 to your car and have them readout how far off the sensor is from 0 with the wheels pointing straight. **I am not responsible for any deployment of airbags, this is just a suggestion** If it's something minuet just take it home, disconnect the battery, pump the brakes to dissipate the residual voltage (if you have a multimeter, check from the alternator terminal to the chassis to read 0vdc). Take out the airbag, , disconnect the cruise control connector, you might need a puller for the steering wheel. Once you have the wheel off, you'll have to take off both plastic surrounds and you'll have access to the roll connector. Prior to taking it off, tape the center to the side, and if it happens to spin before you stop it, the instruction on centering the clockspring is etched on the face of it. If you allowed it to spin, center it prior to taking the steering angle sensor off. Once that's done, take two pieces of scotch tape and tape the angle sensor keys from the backside. The fun part, take off the screws holding the two together. Now that you have them separated you can now see the alignment slot, the 06 is easier to see than the 09+. One the 06 it's on a white roll gear and you are looking for a red line to align to the arrow. On the 09, it took me a while because its a dull metal ring with a line engraved on it, this is why my angle sensor reads 2049* on initial startup, I'm guessing. If you know someone with SSM3, have them keep it connected while you get the center marks lined up. Once you get it to zero, you can marry the two back together. The most difficult part is getting the steering wheel spline to match up dead center, I used a small level and placed it behind the V frame, as I stood out of the car, kept it level and lined up the spline. After you get the wheel on the spline, put the nut on, I don't suggest torquing it down until you take it for a short drive, just make sure you put it back on tight enough so that it won't fall off mid turn. If you are happy with the centering job, torque down the nut, it's 33-35 ft lb. If you need any service manuals, you can find them at wrxinfo.com, you'll be able to find all torques and procedures the dealership uses for your specific year. Have fun.
jose_a_v31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
awakethroughmotion
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 199512
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Vehicle:
06 wrb STi
2013 F150 XLT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_a_v31 View Post
I have the same problem. I did a 09 sti swap in my 06, it's not the roll connector, it's just the steering angle sensor that is mounted on the back on the clockspring. Go to Subaru and have them hook the SSM3 to your car and have them readout how far off the sensor is from 0 with the wheels pointing straight. **I am not responsible for any deployment of airbags, this is just a suggestion** If it's something minuet just take it home, disconnect the battery, pump the brakes to dissipate the residual voltage (if you have a multimeter, check from the alternator terminal to the chassis to read 0vdc). Take out the airbag, , disconnect the cruise control connector, you might need a puller for the steering wheel. Once you have the wheel off, you'll have to take off both plastic surrounds and you'll have access to the roll connector. Prior to taking it off, tape the center to the side, and if it happens to spin before you stop it, the instruction on centering the clockspring is etched on the face of it. If you allowed it to spin, center it prior to taking the steering angle sensor off. Once that's done, take two pieces of scotch tape and tape the angle sensor keys from the backside. The fun part, take off the screws holding the two together. Now that you have them separated you can now see the alignment slot, the 06 is easier to see than the 09+. One the 06 it's on a white roll gear and you are looking for a red line to align to the arrow. On the 09, it took me a while because its a dull metal ring with a line engraved on it, this is why my angle sensor reads 2049* on initial startup, I'm guessing. If you know someone with SSM3, have them keep it connected while you get the center marks lined up. Once you get it to zero, you can marry the two back together. The most difficult part is getting the steering wheel spline to match up dead center, I used a small level and placed it behind the V frame, as I stood out of the car, kept it level and lined up the spline. After you get the wheel on the spline, put the nut on, I don't suggest torquing it down until you take it for a short drive, just make sure you put it back on tight enough so that it won't fall off mid turn. If you are happy with the centering job, torque down the nut, it's 33-35 ft lb. If you need any service manuals, you can find them at wrxinfo.com, you'll be able to find all torques and procedures the dealership uses for your specific year. Have fun.
thanks for the lengthy reply. i ordered a new steering angle sensor (271$) i also tried just recalibrating the clockspring as per the instructions on it. im 100% sure its right but i still have the dccd code. which when hooked up to SSM is "steering angle position sensor" do you know if it absolutely has to be cleared by the SSM? i tried unplugging the dccd module and letting the car sit overnight with the battery disconnected and pumped the brakes for a little bit and nothing helped. the first time i went to the dealership they used the SSM for free and no charge, the next time i wanted to see if they could reset it they wanted a halfhour labor. im hoping that once i install the new sensor ill be done with this bs.
awakethroughmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
fullCircling
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 290547
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville NC
Default

did you check the wiring from the sensor to the ecu?
fullCircling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
awakethroughmotion
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 199512
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Vehicle:
06 wrb STi
2013 F150 XLT

Default

put my new sensor in and everything works normal. didnt have to be reset or recalibrated by subaru. thanks for the help.
awakethroughmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
jose_a_v31
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullCircling View Post
did you check the wiring from the sensor to the ecu?
Honestly, the wiring wouldn't even be a problem. I traced the wires between the two years, and they both read the same. I place my 06 the exact way it was when I took it out and I still had a open DCCD light. Unlucky for myself, leaving the battery undone over night, or even all week did not remedy this issue. However, without the SSM3, I would've never known that the sensor is reporting that outrageous number.
jose_a_v31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
gunman-13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271873
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Lier, Belgium, Europe
Vehicle:
2006 2.5 STI HKS
light silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_a_v31 View Post
I have the same problem. I did a 09 sti swap in my 06, it's not the roll connector, it's just the steering angle sensor that is mounted on the back on the clockspring. Go to Subaru and have them hook the SSM3 to your car and have them readout how far off the sensor is from 0 with the wheels pointing straight. **I am not responsible for any deployment of airbags, this is just a suggestion** If it's something minuet just take it home, disconnect the battery, pump the brakes to dissipate the residual voltage (if you have a multimeter, check from the alternator terminal to the chassis to read 0vdc). Take out the airbag, , disconnect the cruise control connector, you might need a puller for the steering wheel. Once you have the wheel off, you'll have to take off both plastic surrounds and you'll have access to the roll connector. Prior to taking it off, tape the center to the side, and if it happens to spin before you stop it, the instruction on centering the clockspring is etched on the face of it. If you allowed it to spin, center it prior to taking the steering angle sensor off. Once that's done, take two pieces of scotch tape and tape the angle sensor keys from the backside. The fun part, take off the screws holding the two together. Now that you have them separated you can now see the alignment slot, the 06 is easier to see than the 09+. One the 06 it's on a white roll gear and you are looking for a red line to align to the arrow. On the 09, it took me a while because its a dull metal ring with a line engraved on it, this is why my angle sensor reads 2049* on initial startup, I'm guessing. If you know someone with SSM3, have them keep it connected while you get the center marks lined up. Once you get it to zero, you can marry the two back together. The most difficult part is getting the steering wheel spline to match up dead center, I used a small level and placed it behind the V frame, as I stood out of the car, kept it level and lined up the spline. After you get the wheel on the spline, put the nut on, I don't suggest torquing it down until you take it for a short drive, just make sure you put it back on tight enough so that it won't fall off mid turn. If you are happy with the centering job, torque down the nut, it's 33-35 ft lb. If you need any service manuals, you can find them at wrxinfo.com, you'll be able to find all torques and procedures the dealership uses for your specific year. Have fun.
wow,
I didn't find anything usable on this subject, so here's what I found after a few weeks of research,
still haven't figured out how removing the steering wheel can destroy this sensor...
it looks like it's a metal circle of teeth, like a crown, that pass by a fixed sensor, a little bit like the abs sensors function.
I suppose the sensor counts the teeth that pass by, and also "sees" the direction they are moving in(a.i. clockwise or counterclockwise)
All this is sitting in a hard plastic housing, and looks rather sturdy to me.
a picture says more than a thousand words,so
here is an illustrated picture from a steering angle sensor taken from a STI 2006



in the small opening left below you'll see metal teeth on top in the opening, and a white part below.
If you start turning the center, you'll see the metal teeth start to move , and at a certain point ,on the white part a black arrow, pointing towards the teeth will appear.
Now, on one of the teeth there's a small line as in the picture, which you can align with the arrow.I suppose if you put the line and arrow aligned you've put the sensor back to,its starting/ centre position, but I cannot guarantee it's completely aligned & ready to function.But in principle you cannot go wrong, since the two cogs in the centre hole will lign up with the holes in the roll connector...after you've ligned the roll connector up also.( = turn clockwise entirely and then turn it 3,25 turn counterclockwise, an align the arrows on the housing.)
this is what it looks like inside:


cogwheels removed:

it seems that the chip sitting in the housing under the white cogwheel is greased up for some reason...
...so why is the grease there: friction? heat deduction? better guidance of magnetic/ electronic waves? Isolation?Anybody out there who can explain this?
appearently there's also a kind of electronic device(maybe a magnet) in the white cogwheel:


also have a look at this:



Last edited by gunman-13; 07-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.
gunman-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
502sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 479916
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakethroughmotion View Post
put my new sensor in and everything works normal. didnt have to be reset or recalibrated by subaru. thanks for the help.
What hub are you using for your aftermarket wheel. I'm running the nrg short hub and there's no room for the clock spring or angle sensor. I'm currently running the car with the open diff light blinking green. Hopefully it's not damaging anything lol. Also is it possible to have this issue tuned out by a tuner?
502sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
awakethroughmotion
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 199512
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Vehicle:
06 wrb STi
2013 F150 XLT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502sti View Post
What hub are you using for your aftermarket wheel. I'm running the nrg short hub and there's no room for the clock spring or angle sensor. I'm currently running the car with the open diff light blinking green. Hopefully it's not damaging anything lol. Also is it possible to have this issue tuned out by a tuner?
I'm running the stock hub, my aftermarket wheel uses it. It shouldn't be a issue but you won't have control of your diff. I don't think this can be tuned for or turned off by a subaru select monitor.
awakethroughmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.