Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
lakehaze
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462821
Default A case for RWD

Granted:
AWD is more capable, more intuitive, and faster with the Impreza's weight balance. RWD will be an objectively less usable modification.

But is it wrong to trade that, for a different experience?

I prefer RWD as an experience, and I value a 5-door daily driver platform. Unfortunately, there aren't many great RWD 5-door options. The manual IS300 wagon is crazy rare and the German wagons are expensive to own.

For now, I'm assuming the technical performance loss of dissabling AWD is made up by the accessibility of the RWD experience from a Japanese daily driver 5-door. I'm assuming that I'll enjoy a RWD Impreza more than a daily driver 3-Series, 240SX, or AWD Impreza.

So I hope I won't get slammed too bad as I figure out how to mutilate my drivetrain.

Last edited by lakehaze; 10-16-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Too wordy, too long. Obnoxious.
lakehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
lakehaze
Scooby Newbie

If anyone has owned a RWD a Impreza, I'd love to hear your experience. We're you happy with it?

Last edited by lakehaze; 10-16-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
Chill55
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461851

I helped put together a short-lived RWD 02' wrx. The center-diff ceased due to mis-matched front-rear diffs, so we took the front cv's out and cut the ends off them to bolt back into the hubs (otherwise the wheels fall off the hub, we learned the hard way).

Was pretty fun and would break traction quite easily for the 5minutes it lived before 1st gear blew apart like a typical wrx 😂 after which the trans was rebuilt and a working center diff put back in and returned to AWD.
Chill55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
MadMaximus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465517
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza
Grey

I've been RWD for a few months. I have very large offroad tires and the car breaks axles and output shafts like kit-kats. However, the car is extremely fun in the rain and dirt.
MadMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
lakehaze
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaximus View Post
I've been RWD for a few months. I have very large offroad tires and the car breaks axles and output shafts like kit-kats. However, the car is extremely fun in the rain and dirt.
Ouch. Are you upgrading the parts as they snap?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
MadMaximus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehaze View Post
Ouch. Are you upgrading the parts as they snap?
No. The stock axles and output shafts are cheap and easy to replace. If I beef up these parts then only more expensive and harder to replace parts break. You wouldn't break things like me. 235/70/16's really are massive and I shouldnt be attempting burnouts with them.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
lakehaze
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
No. The stock axles and output shafts are cheap and easy to replace. If I beef up these parts then only more expensive and harder to replace parts break. You wouldn't break things like me. 235/70/16's really are massive and I shouldnt be attempting burnouts with them.
What expensive bits are you worried about breaking? Anything other than rear diff and driveshaft?

Do you have any pics of your monster?
Old 09-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
MadMaximus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza
Grey

Ive broken a trans and rear diff. The axles I dont really care about replacing, but finding a VSLD is not easy. And replacing a trans is both expensive amd time consuming.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
lakehaze
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Ive broken a trans and rear diff. The axles I dont really care about replacing, but finding a VSLD is not easy. And replacing a trans is both expensive amd time consuming.
Nice. I like it. Was thinking along similar lines. Nothing like the freedom of not worrying about dings and scratches.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
lakehaze
Scooby Newbie

So, I went a Rallycross event yesterday. It was my first timed event, and I did better than I expected. I certainly have a lot to learn, but I did experience the car's impressive balance, particularly through the slaloms. Even my novice, clumsy inputs were smoothed-over through neutral, predictable, controllable lift-off oversteer.

I still missed consistent, linear throttle-steer, but I felt the platform's intuitive dynamism. I'm still daydreaming about eliminating my center diff, but the experience makes me consider exactly what I'm likely giving up. I wish there was a way to test drive a RWD Impreza to feel how much is lost.

I also noticed myself caring more about the lap times than I thought I would. The objective performance of the car was starting to edge out the subjective experience of it.

Last edited by lakehaze; 10-17-2017 at 08:47 AM.