Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 18, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 373744
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Default Striker's 04 WRX Daily Driver

Ok, so hopefully this doesn't turn out like all my other build threads... (dead threads) but I think I have finally found a subie worth keeping so I'll start here.

This car came to me via Facebook by my girlfriend. She sent me this post she happen to come across on her timeline. (Her knowing I'm a total subie head, she was proud to spot it for me.) She asked all the appropriate questions: head gaskets, rust, miles, chief complaint, etc. (Like I taught her &#128514

Anyway, initially I took a a quick peek at the pics, and she had told me it was a higher mileage (197k) daily driver to work (5 mi) had a CEL on, kid didn't know what for. I dismissed it pretty hard based on the pics below, esp when I found out it was an auto. (I know, you all hate me, I can hear the lynch mob now. )

BUT, after some thought, and the quickly wearing of my current DD (Jeep Grand Cherokee) getting worse and worse. I figured it couldn't hurt to buy it cheap enough for a winter beater, so I got rid of the jeep, drove to the bank, withdrew $800 and was on my way.

We checked out the car, quick test drive, I knew the struts were blown but overall it seemed good. So I managed to get it back down to my place and here we begin.

striker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

So I know what you're thinking...plain jane 04 PSM WRX. Yawn right? 😴 rice tails have to go. Obviously need to get those codes scanned. Stickers need to come off. Anything small that makes it feel like yours.

First thing I did was get the codes read, followed by a fresh oil change. Funny enough, when I was searching for tail lights, I came across a good deal for painted side skirts. So, naturally, I bought them, along with a regular pair of tail lights. $180 later, and happy with my purchase, as this is a budget build after all. (Isn't it always?)

Second thing I got was a K&N drop in air filter because, duh. This is usually a first in all my car purchases just for the fact that you literally cannot go wrong with one. With the 04 wrx no doubt, throttle response and acceleration is poop. 💩 along with the sad cupholders and center console they give you. (But we don't get into that.)

After some lightly, spirited driving, (got to get to know the car, ya know?) I feel good about my purchase and am excited to continue to make this the best daily driver for convienence, reliability, and power. I do like manuals, don't get me wrong. But I travel back and worth between clients, so I don't mind having a 4eat. It's actually kinda fun.

Oh, and I baked the headlights too. Used the turtle wax headlight restoration kit before to clean them up a bit. (Went over them a few good times.)

Where the car stands right now:

All fluids up to date
K&N air filter
Turbo Xs axle back exhaust
Tint all the way around (w/ legal cert.)
Jenson Touchscreen head unit
Blacked out headlights
Automatic car starter (psyched about this for the winter. )
Gates Timing Belt (installed @ 174k)

Painted PSM side skirts (not installed)
Stock tail lights (not installed)

The car is due for rear pads, so I see this as an opportunity to do the h6 brake upgrade. (Another must have for all my cars.) So I have ordered stoptech street pads (770 style) from tirerack.com ($35!) and will be picking up some 2000+ outback rotors (290mm) with matching brackets. They're relatively cheap through Napa, and I never have any problems with them. Just make sure you get the correct pads. (04-05 guys will need the 02 wrx style pads to accommodate the larger size.)

I won't go into all the benefits of this mod, but the stock rotors on the wrx are dinky, and with the outback rotors, you get an extra inch plus you don't have to deal with any caliper stuff, for now. And for the price (around $150) you can't really go wrong.

Hoping to get that done next.

Will update accordingly!

Last edited by striker00; 08-11-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
bwilson7990
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443635
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Sub'd! A diamond in the rough. Keep up the good work
bwilson7990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson7990 View Post
Sub'd! A diamond in the rough. Keep up the good work
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
racing_reject_001
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452780

sub'd for a local interested to see the brake upgrade and how you handle that rust how bad was the headlights to pull apart did you end up getting any condensation in them after pulling them apart ?
racing_reject_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing_reject_001 View Post
sub'd for a local interested to see the brake upgrade and how you handle that rust how bad was the headlights to pull apart did you end up getting any condensation in them after pulling them apart ?
No, the headlight shown in the pic was pretty bad. After it was all said and done, I was happy with only a small amount. The other came out clear as day.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Sometimes you just need to drive..no passengers, no music. Just the sound of the turbo spool, and the exhaust.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker00 View Post
Sometimes you just need to drive..no passengers, no music. Just the sound of the turbo spool, and the exhaust.

Parts should be here today!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Finally got around to installing the tail lights and painted side skirts.

I WAS going to sand some spots down, and re spray some areas with Duplicolor Met Silver (closest to OEM off the shelf) but figured its the closest point to the ground, so ****s going to happen.

I did clean both off pretty well, warm water & soap to get the dirt and whatever else is hiding in the creases. You always wanna do this before installing a part, because little rocks and things will get lodged in the cracks and might scratch the paint when you install.

After, I hit them with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover to try to get some of the rough spots clean, plus it gives em a nice shine. 👍

Its not perfect, but thats ok. It doesn't need to be.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Install was pretty straight forward. There is a philips head screw on the front furthest end plus 6 of those pop rivets or plugs. (Whatever you wanna call em) on the bottom. Be careful not to break them, flathead screwdriver to pry em out. I broke one. The one on the end, you can pry out then un screw the rest with your hand. (Save these just in case your other side skirts don't have them.)

There will be clips on the top that will pop right out, keep these as well. Don't forget to clean the rocker area before you put the clean skirt on.

Also, the inside of the skirt too.

Now, if youre like me..and can't get the plugs to come out. You can work the hole AROUND the plug. (Very careful) with a flathead, so when you take the side skirt off, they will be intact and you can work some of them into the new holes.

Pretty happy with this.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Tail lights are very easy as well. Just peel back the trunk lining to reveal 4 - 8mm on each side.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
bwilson7990
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443635
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

So much better. Tint like that on the whole tail can work in some very specific applications but I feel like 99% of the time it looks trashy.
bwilson7990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
Alex Khan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472605

wow, she is a beauty! Good find, man
Alex Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson7990 View Post
So much better. Tint like that on the whole tail can work in some very specific applications but I feel like 99% of the time it looks trashy.
Agreed. This was sprayed on the outside..did not like it at all. 😂
Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Khan View Post
wow, she is a beauty! Good find, man
She not too bad. 😂 thank you sir
Old 08-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #16
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Car got a good wash after some upgrades! Made this little video.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #17
Johngolf012
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472813

Nice ride
Johngolf012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngolf012 View Post
Nice ride
Thank you!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #19
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Update 8/17/17

FINALLY got all my parts for the h6 rear brake upgrade. Note: 04-05 wrx have to use the 02-03 style pads.

Things you need:

(2) 00+ Subaru Outback Rotors
(2) 00+ Subaru Outback Rear
Caliper Brackets
(1) set of 770style pads (or re use yours)
(1) set of pad clips

Some things to note: ALWAYS read over a procedure before you do it. EVEN if you have done it before. You never know you could miss a bolt here, forget a step. It happens.

Make sure you have the correct tools so you don't get halfway into a project, and not have the right socket.
This setup cost me about $109, but only because I got lucky. Someone on my local Subaru Facebook page was selling a pair of outback rotors, same ones I needed, for $20. Luckily, I hadnt bought some already. So I scooped those up, went to 7 different places for the brackets. No one seemed to have a full set. Ended up getting 1 bracket at one place and the other bracket at a different store. $22 a piece for the brackets. (Minus the core. $6) and the pads are stoptech street pads that cost me $45 shipped from tirerack.com

The procedure is pretty simple. Ebrake, pop cap on master brake, Jack your car up, take off the wheel, there will be 2 14mm bolts holding the caliper to the bracket and 2 holding the bracket. Take these out, remove your caliper, (carefully pin it up) take off the bracket and pads. Take the rotor off, and drill out the spot welds for the dust shield. (or if its like mine, so rusty it literally fell off)

Put new rotors on, push your caliper in (might need c-clamp)

This is also a good time to re grease and lube everything up.

Bolt your bracket back on, insert pads, caliper. Boom a whole %10 difference. 😂😂

This is what it looks like put back together.

Outback rotor vs stock wrx

Overall, its about a 1inch increase in size.

Be sure to imbed your pads if the manufacturer recommends it. My stoptech pads required 10 brakes from 60mph to 10mph. Let em cool by driving, and repeat. This gives the pads a chance to adapt to the rotor and really settle in.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

So Ive been getting a loud whine upon cold starts. Gets better as the car warms up. At first I thought it might be the PS fluid. (Since it was low.) Alas, it wasn't. Then I thought the little o-ring inside the PS inlet, but the noise didn't change with steering. Then I thought water pump, and some others. But in the end it was just the ac idler pulley.

Belt looked good.

Got a $32 dayco pulley and swapped it today. What was Subaru trying to do with the plastic?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #21
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Oh plus ice cream. 👍

Old 08-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

God damn cheap LEDs 😂

Old 08-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #23
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Picked up some 04 STi take-offs. Will be running these thru the winter. Along with larger adjustable rear and front swaybars, strut tower bar, and the front brakes will need to be done. That will probably round off the mods for now, until after winter anyway.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
striker00
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Impreza rs
Red

Picked up my whiteline sway bars for $20 a piece. Rear is adjustable. Plus whiteline endlinks. Ordered new bushings.

Started cleaning up the bars, with a wire brush to get all the surface rust off. I will be using farm equipment paint on the bars. Yellow of all colors. 😂

Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #25
MonsooSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 474109

car looks sick
MonsooSTi is offline   Reply With Quote