Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 23, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
nfm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171697
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 WRX 16G XT

Default Idle/Neutral 13 to 16 AFRs fluctuations

Hello,

I have been having a fluctuating idle and when going into neutral gear for quite some time now, might have been ongoing for couple of years as I was never able to find the culprit, car never stalls luckily. The issue I'm experiencing is that the AFR are fluctuating between 13.0 to high 16s, issue is very apparent during warmup enrichment. Sometimes though the idle does manage to stay 14.7 stoich for a brief period. OL is fine, I do not have any problems in open loop nor when cruising with light pressure on the gas pedal (I can cruise at stable 14.3-14.9AFRs with light throttle but car will eventually accelerates and goes too fast). My tune is targeting 11 AFRs in OL. Car drives great and boosts quick, but idle drops lower than usual when shifting to neutral.

Can somebody please help me and take a look at the log? (log includes Innovate Wideband readings)

Mods are as follows
- '05 WRX, stock 2.0L EJ20, stock ECU, my own opensource tune (based off XPT Stage 2), I'm running 93 oct. 105k miles.
- APS 65mm CAI, the MAF has been scaled to best of my ability back when I ran stock 420cc injectors.
- 800cc decapped modded stock injectors (the scalar has been adjusted to hit 11AFRs and latencies/tip-in have been borrowed from one of the threads here on RomRaider)
- Blouch 16G XT turbo, Catless UP/DP, STi catback
- Hallman MBC, STi TMIC, stock BPV, TGV deletes, Walbro 255

Things that I have done up to this point.
- vacuum leak checks (tried to check many times to verify that my TGV deletes went ok, (1) first boost leak test I've done was from the throttle body, I successfully pressured intake manifold up to 10psi, (2) second boost leak test I tried to do was from the inlet, however my dip stick spew oil so I stopped--not sure why that happened, I followed multiple guides)
- loss of compression (e.g. cracked piston rings, bent/sticky valves)...compression tested fine, ~150psi in all cylinders.
- cleaned MAF many times (MAF voltage at idle seems to be stable at ~1.3v, I don't think MAF is bad)
- cleaned CAI filter many times
- checked for pre o2 exhaust leaks
- cleaned and inspected IACV many times
- cleaned crank/cam sensor 5k mi ago when
- did timing belt change myself 5k ago (also verified that timing is set properly and not off by 1 or anything)
- clogged injector or fuel pump (unlikely as have Walro 255 with clean sock-filter, although that was 50k mi ago, and I went from 420cc injectors to 550 to 800s, the AFR problem in idle/neutral has always been there, and got a bit more prominent as I went to bigger injectors)
- tried unplugging front o2 to force car into OL, didn't help much, problem still persists

Things I haven't or can't check
- unstable fuel pressure, bad fpr
- bad/accidental setting in ECU (possible human error while tuning)
- bad MAP sensor
- bad front o2 sensor (really thinking of getting new sensor soon though, might be my last resort, however I doubt my o2 is bad, it reads pretty close to my calibrated wideband)
- inlet duck could have a slit?

Things that I tried in my map
- raised idle to 850rpm
- raised idle timing by couple degrees in hopes of smoothing it out

Coldstart Log
The log has been logged for 8 minutes in 55F weather, cold start, right after ECU reset.

Thanks.
nfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Tipcat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466809
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero

Default Update?

Did you ever figure this out?
Tipcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
nfm
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX 16G XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipcat View Post
Did you ever figure this out?
No sir, still haven't figured it out. I was troubleshooting lately with brand new front O2 sensor but it did not help. I will update this thread once I find anything new.
Here's more info, original thread on RomRaider where I went trough more troubleshooting: http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...p?f=15&t=13308

Last edited by nfm; 06-03-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #4
MasTuning
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260555

try running the car in openloop and see if it stabilizes
MasTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
nfm
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX 16G XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasTuning View Post
try running the car in openloop and see if it stabilizes
It is what I have done, I have been running OL since last December effectively bypassing front O2, the AFRs are much more stable where car used to run CL.