Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday August 20, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
ZackTheRipper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352442
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'04 WRX
Silver

Default Engine Problems

Hey guys,

Wanted some input from the community here. I have a 2004 Subaru WRX with around 250K on the engine. I don't drive it hard at all, and I mostly had highway miles on it.

Anyway, the engine started producing noises. It was more of a ticking noise than a knocking noise from the engine bay. It kind of sounded like something was loose and smacking against the engine, but I couldn't diagnose the noise after my girlfriend's dad and I tried to find the origin of the noise.

So I took my Subaru to a local stealership in the area. The guy who wrote me up for the diagnosis said it sounded like I would more than likely have to just get the engine cleaned through a seafoam treatment and they would get started on it right away.

Anyway, I get a call the next day saying the mechanic looked at the car real quick, said I needed a new engine and a new turbo after hearing noises from the turbo as well. The notes from the mechanic on my bill were very vague as well.

Should I trust the dealer and get a new engine and turbo?
ZackTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
05BlobRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461891

I'd go to at least one other garage or stealership to get another diagnosis. If they say the same then that's probably it. A second or third opinion is always better. Unless all three are different..
05BlobRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
88horizon5speed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 442868
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza 5D CVT
Ice Silver

I would say no, don't trust them.

Based on the fact of how vague they are on such an important decision.. Is this your daily driver? If it is you should definetly go get some more opinions. I would be extremely hesitant to replace the engine without knowing what it is..of course I understand that if it is your primary vehicle you have a lot less time to mess around with it yourself trying to figure it out.
88horizon5speed is offline   Reply With Quote