Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Default Door handle / latch issues

'96 Brighton coupe, manual locks. (For those who might not know, with manual locks, if you're getting out of the car and lock the door using the door lock by the inside handle, you then have to hold the exterior door handle up when you shut the door. If you don't hold the handle up, the door unlocks itself when you shut it.)

A couple/few weeks ago I locked the door, then shut it while holding the handle up. Something didn't feel right, so I tried the handle and sure enough the door was unlocked. Tried it again, same thing. Locking/unlocking with the key was still functional. I could also shut the door and lock it from inside.

Then the exterior door handle stopped working at all. The last time I messed with the door at all, the inner door handle felt wrong, too, and I got the feeling if I messed with it more, I might lose that functionality. I shut the door, locked it from inside, and haven't touched it in a couple weeks.

Are problems with the actual door latch common? Or is it more likely that the actuating rods that connect the two handles to the latch have popped off (in the case of the outside handle) or are about to pop off (in the case of the inside handle)?
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

OK, got the door open (hooray, the inner handle still works! ) and popped off the inner door panel. Both the door handles work. The problem appears to be in the locking function of the latch assembly. About 80% of the time, the interior lock switch/lever doesn't seem to be able to push the lever on the latch assembly down fully to engage the lock. Unlock works fine.

A couple of times as I've been cycling things and trying to figure out what's going on, it seems like I've gotten the lock function to kind of get stuck in between lock & unlock. Putting the key in the lock and twisting either way just doesn't feel right; wriggling it back and forth it fixed itself. Not sure what to make of that.

I guess at this point I'm going to try lubricating things and see if that helps. I'll leave the door panel off for now so I can see and manipulate things if necessary.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Well, good thing I left the inner door panel off. After cycling things a bunch of times in the driveway, and both handles seemingly working just fine, I drove to Home Depot to get some lubricant. Came out of the store and neither door handle would work - seemed like the lock was stuck. Since the door panel was removed, I was able to reach in and override the lock manually, after which the handles were back to working fine.

I put some spray white lithium on a couple pivot points and cycled things a few times. I'm not convinced the lock portion of the latch assembly is working right; I might have to see about pulling the latch so I can get a better look at things.