Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 23, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
DracTheBat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423655
Default Electronic gauges and stereo setup review

My 2011 Hatch WRX is a base model so it didn't come with the boost gauge. The old Pioneer head unit that was installed by a previous owner didn't work right either so I had decided to tackle both things with this project.

After looking at a few different options I have decided to go for an electronic setup using Torque Pro app. Additionally, I gained a new stereo system at the same time. Cost effective and functional at the same time.
Figure I'd share this as other people may be interested in doing something similar or even the same. I am pleasantly surprised how it all turned out at the end. Works well and I do recommend this setup.
I did the installation my self so the overall cost was actually cheaper than what you would expect to pay for an SPT boost gauge.

Components used in this project:
- Pumpkin dual din 6 inch Android 6.0 system. ( Important note: when choosing an Android system for your vehicle make sure that it comes with a fast processor/s in order to minimize boot time when starting your vehicle).
- Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles
- 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices
- Torque Pro app

DracTheBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Bluefoton
Scooby Guru

Member#: 141373
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i-hatch -
now with a HID retrofit

This is fantastic... Why did you chose Pumpkin out of all the Chinese android ones? Are your steering wheel controls still working?
If it's easy enough, I might just pull the plug on that very same setup...
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
ukr823f
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 367213

I chose a different way without connection to DLC

ukr823f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Bluefoton
Scooby Guru

Member#: 141373
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i-hatch -
now with a HID retrofit

I've just put in something similar - a Joying Android 5.1.1 head unit (CA-JY-UL135N2)

- Connecting it using a proper harness was straightforward, no problems there.
- Stock SW controls work flawlessly (they just need to be programmed in the unit).
- Came with a stock iGo Navi system and pre-installed maps
- Came with a GPS antenna (supporting Glossnass), and a really long cable. I've put the antenna just next to the windshield, on the dash.
- Came with 2 USB cables. I use one for a permanent flash memory stick with all my MP3s in the glove compartment, and the other if I want to put applications (.apk files)
- MP3, radio, Navi.. all work
- Rearview camera (I installed an after-market one) plugs simply to an RCA input
- Torque with a PLX OBD2 dongle works as well
- Screen way too bright during night time, easy fix using the "darker" app

The only issue was the fitment. THe unit is smaller than the opening in the OEM front bezel, and the Metra kit for a double-DIN has a bezel is too large. Some fiddling and trimming should do the job. Mind you, Joying warned me a few times the unit is 102 mm wide as opposed to 100, so it could be it.

Honeslty.. I was expecting issues and problems. NONE so far...
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote