Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default Any non adjustable shocks 04 Sti?

Hello Nasioc, I was wondering if you guys knew of any non adjustable shocks for the 2004 Sti. I seem to find tons of shocks/struts for 02-07 Wrx and 05-07 Sti, and a few stating 04-07 Sti - which I imagine they mean 5-7.

I really do not need, or want Koni yellow adjustable inserts. But that's all I seem to find for the 04 Sti.

I really want oem 04 Sti springs on my 05 Wrx sedan, due to the very minimal drop, and significant (to me atleast) increase in spring rate. And I do not want to put the Sti springs on Wrx shocks that are under-dampened. But do not need, or want to spend the money on anything adjustable.

Are there any other options?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

oh boy...you REALLY dont quite know what you are doing, here....and i dont have time to educate you

read---read---read some more

if you already have a set of 04 sti struts.... have feal rebuild them.....and the jdm sti springs are, imo, a LOT better choice than usdm sti springs

if you do not already have 04 sti struts, you may be quite shocked at their price
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

Feal suspension will fix you up
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
oh boy...you REALLY dont quite know what you are doing, here....and i dont have time to educate you

read---read---read some more

if you already have a set of 04 sti struts.... have feal rebuild them.....and the jdm sti springs are, imo, a LOT better choice than usdm sti springs

if you do not already have 04 sti struts, you may be quite shocked at their price

How do I REALLY not know what I am doing here? If it's impossible to put 2004 Sti springs on a 2005 Wrx sedan, that would have been much easier and quicker to type out. But, unless I am completely handicapped (which I could be), I believe I read that 04 Sti springs and struts bolt on to 02-07 Wrx sedans.

Is it really not possible to use 04 Sti springs on an 05 Wrx? I thought that was the year that worked as long as I struts that fit an 04 Sti. And I do not need or want anything else. I want less than 1" drop, and increase in spring rate. I don't want to be too low, or too stiff, which is why I chose 04 Sti springs. Are there any shocks/struts available besides oem and Koni inserts?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Would Tokico Hp or KYB Gr2/ExcelG work fine with oem Sti springs?

How do you guys feel about the Pedders sport struts? I've never heard of them before.

Last edited by 4eat05; 01-25-2014 at 08:36 PM.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post

How do I REALLY not know what I am doing here? If it's impossible to put 2004 Sti springs on a 2005 Wrx sedan, that would have been much easier and quicker to type out. But, unless I am completely handicapped (which I could be), I believe I read that 04 Sti springs and struts bolt on to 02-07 Wrx sedans.

Is it really not possible to use 04 Sti springs on an 05 Wrx? I thought that was the year that worked as long as I struts that fit an 04 Sti. And I do not need or want anything else. I want less than 1" drop, and increase in spring rate. I don't want to be too low, or too stiff, which is why I chose 04 Sti springs. Are there any shocks/struts available besides oem and Koni inserts?
Yes they are a direct fit.

What every one is trying to tell you is that if you have a set of 04 STI struts as well as the springs, don't bother buying another set of struts.
Call a company named Feal. They will take the 04 STI struts, rebuild them BETTER than new, for the price of stock struts. This combo will be awesome.

If you don't have the 04 STI struts, then some of your strut options are in order of least best to best:
KYB Excell-G
Tokico HP (very hard to find)
KYB AGX
Koni inserts
Tokico D-Spec (almost impossible to find now, but great)
Feal 04 STI rebuild
Feal inserts

Some of these are 02-03 fitment which is fine as long as you use the 04-07 rear strut tops and a 921 spacer. The 921 spacer is a special washer that fits between the 02-03 strut and 04-07 top in the rear only. Available at Turn in Concepts.

Edit: Tokico products are discontinued, but you may find some old new stock.

Last edited by Bikelok; 01-25-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39086
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
oh boy...you REALLY dont quite know what you are doing, here....and i dont have time to educate you

read---read---read some more

if you already have a set of 04 sti struts.... have feal rebuild them.....and the jdm sti springs are, imo, a LOT better choice than usdm sti springs

if you do not already have 04 sti struts, you may be quite shocked at their price
Feal is a nice option. Scotty is being nice today.

What are the paint dots on your Sti springs? There is a BIG thread about it. I'm not about to dive in for you with Zero info.

Some think the JDM pink springs are a better match to the OEM STi stuts.
Web Foot STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
newtothescene
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222368
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Tri-Cities
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
CGM - SOLD

Default

The best options are the Feal revalve 04 STI shocks (make sure you get the zerk fittings too and ask for the tarmac spec), Koni inserts or the D-Specs. The revalve will cost you less $$ but you lose adjustability.
newtothescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

I do not have the Sti struts or springs yet, and never really planned on getting used shocks, but wouldn't mind used oem springs.

I would prefer direct fit (04-05 sedan), and would prefer non-adjustable as I do not track or race my car. I just want to lose some (less than 1") fender gap. Moderate increase in spring rate is more than fine. So oem Sti seemed the best fit as far as springs go.

Just to be clear, all 04-07 oem Sti springs can be used on my car no problem, correct? Its just the Sti struts that have to be 04?

It seems my only choices (within my preferences) would be Oem 04 Sti (can't find any reasonably priced), Kyb Gr2/Excel-G, Tokico Hp and those Pedders and Pedders sportrider struts.
(If they made Kyb Gr2 or Tokico Hp FOR the 04 Sti I would have bought those without starting this tread)

I am really not looking for flat out performance. Therefore no need for expensive adjustable struts, or coilovers. All I am looking for is a tiny drop, for aesthetic reasons. Tiny drop, so Oem Sti springs.

Last edited by 4eat05; 01-26-2014 at 08:31 PM.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39086
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Default

Buy some STi take off springs and enjoy...

Most have two purple paint dots. Some have two green in the rear.

It helps when you explicitly say what you want.


Edit: ~10mm drop.
Web Foot STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Foot STi View Post
Buy some STi take off springs and enjoy...

Most have two purple paint dots. Some have two green in the rear.

It helps when you explicitly say what you want.


Edit: ~10mm drop.
Yes, I am looking into getting some Oem Sti springs. That is why I am asking about which struts to get along with them.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Can I use any 04-07 Sti oem springs, or only 04?

Can I use 04 (+?) OEM STI springs and 05 Wrx sedan Kyb Gr2/Tokico Hp struts?

Has anyone ever used, or have any first hand information on the Pedders struts and Pedders sportrider struts I've seen on Rally sport direct and a few other places?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39086
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Default

04-07 Sti oem springs work fine.
Web Foot STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Foot STi View Post
04-07 Sti oem springs work fine.
Would they be fine with new Kyb Gr2/Tokico Hp struts?

How about those Pedders struts ?


I was originally wanting to buy lightly used Oem Sti springs and NEW struts.
But, I maybe consider picking up Oem Sti struts and having them rebuilt as suggested. ONLY '04 Sti struts, correct? But any 04-7 oem Sti springs would be fine?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
RallySport Direct
NASIOC Storefront Vendor
 
Member#: 33174
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Vehicle:
We are Open Late!
888-457-2559 Every day!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post

How about those Pedders struts ?
The Pedders are not specific to the STi and the valving on the standard Pedder units is better suited for the WRX.
The Pedders Sport Ryder is a upgraded strut with more aggressive valving that would be able to suite STi specific spring rates.

Hope this helps, if you have any other specific questions about the Pedders stuff be sure to let us know.

Kirill
RallySportDirect.com
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Thanks!

still waiting on non-distributors to chime in on the Pedders sport ryder struts.

or, how Kyb Gr2/Tokico Hp struts would do with oem Sti springs.

Again. I am NOT looking for straight up performance. I am looking to replace really old oem shocks, and springs, with oem Sti springs and xxx struts to lower my Wrx less than 1/2" while being just slightly firmer than old oem Wrx suspension.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

I can't comment on Pedders struts. I don't know anything about them.

I can tell you that 04-07 STI springs are the same. Only the 04 STI struts will fit a WRX.

The Excell-G (GR-2) and HP (the HP is discontinued but you might still find some) will work. The STI springs would put them at their upper limit. Perhaps not the best match, but they will work fine.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Anyone else have anything to add about KYB GR2 and OEM STI springs?

Or anyone have anything to say about Pedders?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
Anyone else have anything to add about KYB GR2 and OEM STI springs?

Or anyone have anything to say about Pedders?

Or any other non-adjustable struts that fit my 05 Wrx and work with Sti springs?
Or any full body struts?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #20
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

It seems like a lot of ppl are stating the older Kyb Gr2's were "too stiff" for stock Wrx springs, and the the newew Kyb Excel G's are even "harsher" than the older Gr2's, and that the Excel G's work well with most "mild" aftermarket springs.

I've read quite a few ppl say the Excel G's were "too stiff" or "too harsh" for their stock Wrx, but worked well with some Swift, Tein, H&R, Eibach springs.

So I'm thinking the "too harsh" Excel G struts should do alright with OEM STOCK Sti springs. Would this be a safe thought? Or are the Oem Sti springs really THAT stiff, or TOO stiff for these "too harsh" Kyb Excel G's?

So any 04-07 OEM Sti spring would fit an '05 Wrx strut perfectly? Would particular year be better, or are they the exact same?
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #21
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
It seems like a lot of ppl are stating the older Kyb Gr2's were "too stiff" for stock Wrx springs, and the the newew Kyb Excel G's are even "harsher" than the older Gr2's, and that the Excel G's work well with most "mild" aftermarket springs.

I've read quite a few ppl say the Excel G's were "too stiff" or "too harsh" for their stock Wrx, but worked well with some Swift, Tein, H&R, Eibach springs.

So I'm thinking the "too harsh" Excel G struts should do alright with OEM STOCK Sti springs. Would this be a safe thought? Or are the Oem Sti springs really THAT stiff, or TOO stiff for these "too harsh" Kyb Excel G's?

So any 04-07 OEM Sti spring would fit an '05 Wrx strut perfectly? Would particular year be better, or are they the exact same?
You got me again.

The GR-2 is discontinued. You might find a set still out there, although most places list them as GR-2, most likely you will get Excell-G.

Some think the Excell-G are valved a bit harsh for most springs. I don't think they are that bad though at all. I have Excell-G up front and GR-2 in the rear of my wife's Leggy Outback. I do notice a difference, but I have to concentrate on it. The GR-2 is valved better though.

As I stated before, these struts will work fine with STI springs, but they will be at their upper limit with those springs.

Please do the WRX/STI community a favor and do not destroy your stock struts. Sell them or give them away if you are not going to have them rebuilt.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #22
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikelok View Post

Please do the WRX/STI community a favor and do not destroy your stock struts. Sell them or give them away if you are not going to have them rebuilt.
destroy the stock struts? how do you mean? They are just stock 125k mile Wrx struts, that I want to replace with something decent to go along with oem Sti springs.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post

destroy the stock struts? how do you mean? They are just stock 125k mile Wrx struts, that I want to replace with something decent to go along with oem Sti springs.
Sorry, I thought you had 04 STI struts. It would be a shame to throw out a set of them (even if they are blown). I must have read wrong.
If they are WRX struts and shot, then toss away.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #24
4eat05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378421
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2005 Cobb Stg2+ Wrx
Platinum Silver

Default

My car is a 2005 Wrx sedan, on stock suspension. I have not bought any springs or struts yet. If I already had '04 Sti struts I would probably go the Feal route. But I really don't plan to buy used struts or have them rebuilt. I can't find any non-adjustable's for the '04 Sti.

I have read a lot of ppl say the Kyb Excel-G is firmer than the older Gr2 which is usually "too firm" or "too harsh" for stock Wrx springs and tend to do well with mild aftermarket springs.

I want a SMALL drop, and a small increase in spring rate/damping. I figure OEM Sti springs would be the perfect spring for me.
Would the "too harsh" Kyb Excel G for my 05 Wrx sedan be ok with Oem Sti springs? Would any particular year spring be better?

*edit* unless I find some other quality springs that lower 1/2" or less I am most likely sticking with Oem Sti springs. Maybe Spt usdm pink springs?

Last edited by 4eat05; 02-17-2014 at 12:37 PM.
4eat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #25
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
My car is a 2005 Wrx sedan, on stock suspension. I have not bought any springs or struts yet. If I already had '04 Sti struts I would probably go the Feal route. But I really don't plan to buy used struts or have them rebuilt. I can't find any non-adjustable's for the '04 Sti.

I have read a lot of ppl say the Kyb Excel-G is firmer than the older Gr2 which is usually "too firm" or "too harsh" for stock Wrx springs and tend to do well with mild aftermarket springs.

I want a SMALL drop, and a small increase in spring rate/damping. I figure OEM Sti springs would be the perfect spring for me.
Would the "too harsh" Kyb Excel G for my 05 Wrx sedan be ok with Oem Sti springs? Would any particular year spring be better?

*edit* unless I find some other quality springs that lower 1/2" or less I am most likely sticking with Oem Sti springs. Maybe Spt usdm pink springs?
The USDM pink STI springs are the same as the USDM take offs. Although they do make a rear pink wagon specific spring. Either is a great street spring for the WRX. You can find the take offs super cheap (sometimes free). If you have a sedan, the take offs are the real bargain.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.