Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday February 21, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334780
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Impreza WRX STi 2013 Black STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines (Built not bought)

2013 STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines
Built not bought
521whp @ 23psi on 93oct

DeathRoe

Custom Ball Engines (www.ballengines.com) longblock setup.
AccessPort V3 speed density tune by Doug Wilks @ TSM (Now @ DBW Motorsports)

Mahle 2618 pistons (stock CR) (99.75mm) (0.10" over)
Scat rods
Clevite bearings
Ported / Shimmed 11mm oil pump
Tigwerks oil pickup tube.
Cast impeller water pump (TSM)
ARP head studs
GSC S2 camshafts
GSC beehive springs & retainers
Stock valves, stock heads (no port work)
Bosch 1000cc injectors
Full aeromotive fuel system
Aeromotive 340lph in-tank fuel pump
SPT exhaust w/dump tube off wastegate
ETS FMIC & ETS rotated precision turbo kit
Precision 6266 ceramic dual ball bearing turbo (.82 hotside)
ACT XtremeDuty full face clutch
Holy Shift Kit (w/SPT linkage, TRUE holy shift kit)
WC LatheWerks 500+gram stainless shift knob and reverse lockout ring
Lots of JPM coachworks interior bits

Lot's of things can be said about this experience, and lot's of things were learned.

I never intended for the project to explode this fast this quickly, but it's amazing how things can run away from you (stage 2, happy with the car to 500whp)

The car was always intended to be a street car, and it always will be. The only weight saving's I've done was a spare tire removal and one day I plan to glass in a sub enclosure there anyway so it won't really be any savings. I also plan to plumb the dump tube back into the exhaust and get a Tomei Expreme TI single exit to replace the SPT I have now.

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-23-2015 at 12:16 AM.
digitizedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Impreza WRX STi The Story

The Story

I had always wanted a 4cyl turbo sedan for some reason. My original dream car was the MK4 supra, as i'm sure it is/was plenty of yours as well but as I aged this became less and less practical.
The STI was always attractive to me because of Subaru's amazing symmetrical AWD system, the boxer engine and the rally history.
Ordered the car around October or November, can't remember now. Picked it up February 5th from Subaru Of Gwinnett here in Georgia

Dealer install of SPT motor mounts, SPT turbo heat shield and other under hood components resulted in using the stock IC as a parts and tools tray and/or handhold

As a result, it got replaced at their cost with this:

Not a bad way to start eh? I thought so to, but as we all know the bug had bitten, and bitten hard. Next came Stage 1 with a Cobb SPT intake and an AP V2

Next came an Invidia high flow cat downpipe and a stage 2 protune from Doug Wilks (At the time @ TSM)

It made 300/340 which I thought was pretty good

Drove it like this for a while and had no intention on doing anything else power wise.

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-21-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Impreza WRX STi Disaster #1 (Ringlands)

Disaster #1 (Ringlands)

At 17,000~ish miles the car lost power and began to consume oil on startup. I removed the oil fill cap and sure enough there was significant blowby and combustion smoke exiting.
A compression test was done and #2 and #4 showed hardly anything.
I dropped the car off at Subaru Of Gwinnett for diagnosis and warranty repair (I was a noob, I knew nothing, left the downpipe on but flashed back to stock)

They removed and tore down the motor only to then tell me it wouldn't be covered under warranty and I owed them for labor. Needless to say after letting SOA know my wife was an attorney, I did not pay that labor.

I brought my motor and parts home and began the process of rebuilding on my own.

My home for the next.... forgot how many months

Decided to build the motor solid with the intent on one day going rotated with big power. After all, i'm doing all the labor right?
Left the heads completely stock though.

Kelly (Tigwerks) made me a nice oil pickup tube

Dropped the block off at Ball Engine parts & Service in the masterful hands of David & Andrew Ball. Meanwhile, I had a lot of time to kill so I got started on some other goodies

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-21-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Picked the Block up from Andrew Ball (Ball Engines Parts & Service)

Used a stock STI crank

Scat Rods

Mahle 2618 pistons, ARP head studs and stock head gaskets

Clevite Bearings

Had Andrew help me do the longblock / rotating assembly and torque the heads down properly. He does do it more often then I do that's for sure so pride aside let the master do his work!

Ready to start remaining assembly

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Proud papa!

Tigwerks EGR blockoff's

Did a TiC TGV delete as well

Stock unequal length manifold re-used for now

All Done

Going back in

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Going Rotated #1...

So I drove around with the stock turbo, stock fuel system, stock clutch with my stage 2 protune from before on the new built motor for a while, forget how many miles but several thousand.

Then I was approached by a WRXAtlanta member (who will remain nameless) with a very reasonable offer on a rotated kit & 4 Bosch 1000cc injectors. I was told this kit was for a GR but, as you will see, it was not...

The Turbo was a Garrett 60-1 "Super 60"

Comparison with stock VF48

I got an ETS FMIC and piping kit w/TiAL BOV, Aeromotive 340lph stealth fuel pump and all the gaskets / hardware I thought I would need.

Started installing.... and it quickly became clear, wow, this kit is for a GD NOT a GR

ETS Front mount fit perfectly though? No surprises there. ETS FTW!

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Going Rotated #2...

I had sold numerous stock parts including the stock injectors, fuel pump, uppipe, turbo and downpipe to pay for the ETS FMIC and also pay for the rotated kit. Due to that insurmountable problem added to the fact that the deceptive WRXAtlanta member who sold me the kit spent the money "on a vet bill" I was basically screwed.

I spent the next month trying to sell the kit, which I was finally able to do (on here!) and figure out what to do next.

Spoke to Mike Adams @ TSM (TopSpeed Motorsports) here in Atlanta GA who had helped me procure the ETS front mount using their relationship with ETS and decided I might as well bight the bullet and go big, ETS full kit w/6266 and TiAL 44mm external gate.

1 step colder iridium plugs

Modified fuel basket for Aeromotive 340

Wow, this kit actually fits! Go figure... (ETS FTW!)

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Disaster #2, Rod bearing

So I had a tuner in the atlanta area who I had become friends with, and who prided himself in his open source tuning request to tune the car when I was done. Granted, his craftsmanship outside of tuning (wrenching) and his personality in general was solid and I had absolutely no reason to doubt this would carry over to tuning. Also he tuned numerous guys cars in the WRXAtlanta community

He asked that I get a Cobb AP V3 since I wanted to go speed density due to the higher logging rate, so I bit the bullet and did the cobb trade up from my V2 to the V3

We road tuned the car and it appeared to be just fine. Made about 440whp virtual dyno (i forget what PSI). About 4 days later I was doing a pull against some 5.0 2014 mustang and after that pull when I made a turn and headed home I started to hear an RPM dependent knock, and knew I was royally screwed.

Sure enough after taking off the pan it was clear that #2 rod bearing had spun itself to pieces. Nathan Cicio of TopSpeed made a claim to me in a conversation shortly after where he said "Main bearing spins? It's your engine builder. Rod bearing spins? It's your tuner"

First clue to the bearing was this

More clues followed

The build only had about 7k miles on it (mostly with stock turbo) and only about 4 days on this tune and with the precision kit and precision turbo installed. However, it was probably a blessing in disguise because I had tightened the timing belt guides WAY too much (my first EJ build) and would have had a disaster pretty shortly as a result anyway

This is where the absolutely wonderful people that are David and Andrew Ball of Ball Engine parts and service stepped up to the plate no one even asked them to and became my sponsor basically. This is also the reason that the only sticker on my car besides an SPT subaru one is theirs. I see no reason to decorate my car in shop stickers who charge me retail.

Motor went back to them, one scat rod had to be replaced.
I had to get a new oil cooler, oil pan, 5 new AVCS cam gears and all the other stuff you guys know is required when you get metal in the motor.

That's right, 5 cam gears, not 4. One of my buddies was helping me assemble the 2nd time around, and didn't align the dowel properly and instead torqued it down into an oil galley instead...

Per the advice of Mike Adams @ TSM I bit yet another bullet fearing that fueling may have been an issue and went with a full aeromotive fuel system. In hindsight this probably wasn't necessary at all, but at least it's done now.

I also had all 4 BOSCH injectors flow tested by the original manufacturer (Fuel Injector Connection) here in Cumming, Ga and they all flowed 1000cc give or take 1cc.

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

I also decided that I might as well get rid of the stock exhaust manifold on a build at this level, so I snagged one off Kelly (tigwerks) which was a beautiful piece.

Kept the 2 bolt stock flange style on both the ETS uppipe and his new header

My biggest mistake was not taking the time to wrap OR coat any of my exhaust components. Hell I didn't even put a turbo blanket on. Definitely hurt me at my first event (Georgia 1/2 mile - Wannagofast)

I also decided to add GSC S2 cam's, beehive springs and retainers to the heads to ensure I hit >500whp on 93oct this time around.

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Let the rebuild (again) commence. Again.

Re used the same pistons, but had to get a new STI crank after the rod journal on the spun rod was ruined.

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-22-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

At this point the car went to TopSpeed (TSM) to be tuned by Doug Wilks (now at DBW motorsports), the resident south east subaru tuning wizard (10+yrs tuning subaru's) who won OLOA in his famous "lucy" red coupe with >500whp.

I was taking no more chances on tuners

https://youtu.be/cUDldWbU9-I

(no clue why that won't embed as a video preview)

This is how the car sits now.

Also here are some shots of the WC lathewerks shift knob, reverse lockout ring and STI SI drive knob

Last edited by digitizedsoul; 08-23-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Reserved #11
Old 08-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Reserved #12
Old 08-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #14
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

I just put 4 new michelin pilot super sports on after my stock Dunlop's started showing belts @ 37700 miles. Not bad!

Also about to install these

After they pass my son's quality inspection...

Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #15
Sixth_Vang
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286823
Vehicle:
2015 STI
Crystal Black Silica

Exactly the kind of post I was looking for thank you for sharing! I got in touch with Andrew on a build and it seemed pretty legit. I'm hoping to have a built short block by them within the next few weeks for my street able blouch 1.5 build (400whp) but have yet to decide on a tuner. If you have any pointers or lessons I should learn on the backend please pm me before I drop these stacks in ATL

2015 STI
bone stock
3400 miles
Sixth_Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #16
theshivable
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 428658
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza hatch
Cherry

Great to see the whole story laid out with photos. (I'm the wife who was with him on this journey... and survived this far!)

Who knows what's next in store?...
theshivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:59 AM   #17
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth_Vang View Post
Exactly the kind of post I was looking for thank you for sharing! I got in touch with Andrew on a build and it seemed pretty legit. I'm hoping to have a built short block by them within the next few weeks for my street able blouch 1.5 build (400whp) but have yet to decide on a tuner. If you have any pointers or lessons I should learn on the backend please pm me before I drop these stacks in ATL

2015 STI
bone stock
3400 miles
Great choice, Andrew is absolutely meticulous. He measured bolt stretch on every single bolt, triple checked clearances and generally took measures of detail even I couldn't believe, and it was my motor haha.

Also they are the machine shop for TopSpeed, and a few other big shops in the area. Sort of the behind the scenes craftsman for the big guys. After all, what's the point of a build if the machine work sucks right? Doubt you can do any better in the south east.

Regarding tuners, obviously i'm biased towards Doug (DBW Motorsports) due to his years of experience and also my personal experience with him but also the 20+k miles i've put on my build so far with his tune seeing >500whp every single time I drive it with multiple WOT pulls.

To really get plugged into the Atlanta scene join WRXAtlanta.com
Nasioc doesn't really have a chapter or solid presence in this area to be honest.
WRXAtlanta has bi-weekly dinner meets at different spots around Atlanta where we all discuss projects, vendors, etc. Often times Alex from JPM coachworks will come out, or Mike from TSM. Doug even made it to one of them.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:01 AM   #18
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshivable View Post
Great to see the whole story laid out with photos. (I'm the wife who was with him on this journey... and survived this far!)

Who knows what's next in store?...
Ha, the o'l "stealth join & post" technique eh?
Glad you could join the party, and thank you for the years of patience and long suffering with this hobby.... project.......addiction.......... curse??? (lol)

We need to make a thread for your COMPLETELY STOCK impreza next. Maybe when we tint the windows?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #19
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Car dropped off at body shop for a 2 page list of issues. Highway driving plus a shelf falling on it in my garage (and a wheel barrow on said shelf) have not been kind to the body and paint. Finally getting it all FIXED!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
JassiRbn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 429190

Woow good car Gallery. Like that
JassiRbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #21
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Thanks! Took a while to compose, but it's worth it. I like sharing the whole story so folks in similar situations can have some ideas. I also like to encourage the built-not-bought mentality since you end up learning so much about your car in the process which is never a bad thing.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #22
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Car is for sale, 35k.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #23
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

Car is sold.

R.I.P "DeathRoe"

You will be missed.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
wrxz28
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 115131
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2009 STI
WHITE

Damn sold!?!?!?! After all that work you just lost a part of your soul!!!!

Awesome work.

What's going to be your next project?
wrxz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #25
digitizedsoul
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STi Limited 4dr
Crystal Black Silica

A beautiful 04 forester XT with a 4EAT.