Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 12, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
TranstaSWP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379793
Join Date: Jan 2014
Vehicle:
2014 WRX HB
SWP

Default 2015 WRX engine knock

DAMN IT!

My wife's stock 2015 WRX with CVT engine started making a knocking sound a week ago. Car has 9,852 miles on it...yea she does a lot of driving! She came home and told me the engine started making a weird sound. I went out and started her up, and heard a faint knocking sound and it became more prominent as I gave her some gas. I ask my wife WTH did you do to her! (WRONG WAY TO APPROACH HER!!)

A few days later after the argument, we had the car towed to Subaru Dealer and they are pulling the engine apart to trouble shoot the issue.

The wife told me she accidentally downshift as she was gassing it on a turn. It may be users fault, but damn I didn't expect it since its still a new car! I'll keep you guys updated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TranstaSWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 91347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ord, Nebraska
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,12
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

It's a CVT. she can't "downshift".

Also, it's under warranty. don't fret. zero cost to you.
Are Subaru dealers few and far between in Transylvania? If not, no big deal. just bring it to the local dealer and they fix it for free.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
aigochamaloh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 188167
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX LBP 6MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
It's a CVT. she can't "downshift".

Also, it's under warranty. don't fret. zero cost to you.
Are Subaru dealers few and far between in Transylvania? If not, no big deal. just bring it to the local dealer and they fix it for free.
She can "downshift" and shoot the RPMs way up while turning, but I doubt that caused the knock.

I've got the CVT too, I'll be watching this thread.
aigochamaloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
TranstaSWP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379793
Join Date: Jan 2014
Vehicle:
2014 WRX HB
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
It's a CVT. she can't "downshift".
That's what I said to her and she argued with me...at this time I'm just laughing it off.

Yeah, SUbaru has been good with taking care of the problem. No Fretting at all,
Thanks
TranstaSWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
bunz559
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 388585
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: clovis, ca
Vehicle:
2015 wrx base
ISM

Default

Doesn't gassing any automatic car cause it to downshift to appropriate gear unless the vehicle has some sort of sport mode that keeps the transmission in its current gear?

Unless there's different terminology that I'm unaware of, applying full gas in my automatic fit in regular D mode causes the car to down shift into a lower gear to pickup speed. As well as in my parent's CR-V, Camry. My brother's Tacoma, Oddessy. And so on.
bunz559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
foof247
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290623
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit Metro, Michigan
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Dark grey

Default

It probably has nothing to do with the shifting
foof247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
WRXHillClimb
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 206907
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester, MN
Vehicle:
2014 EvoX GSR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
Also, it's under warranty. don't fret. zero cost to you.
Time cost, loss of work cost, inconvenience cost, stress cost, loss of value cost. I can think of tons of cost involved that you never get reimbursed for. You get free labor and a new engine (that could potentially fail in the same way if there is an actual defect with the block). By no means comprehensive as it should be.
WRXHillClimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank
Moderator
 
Member#: 140114
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Common Sense, VA
Vehicle:
2013 Audi
A6 3.0T

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
Doesn't gassing any automatic car cause it to downshift to appropriate gear unless the vehicle has some sort of sport mode that keeps the transmission in its current gear?

Unless there's different terminology that I'm unaware of, applying full gas in my automatic fit in regular D mode causes the car to down shift into a lower gear to pickup speed. As well as in my parent's CR-V, Camry. My brother's Tacoma, Oddessy. And so on.
On a traditional geared transmission, yes gassing it can cause a downshift.

With a CVT, it's ConstanTly Variable. So there are no gears. Hence why it's been said she couldn't down shift.
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
nmlittlebigman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321409
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Arrey, NM
Vehicle:
2003 Big Effing Van
7.3L powerstroke diesel

Default

Flowers are in order for the wife! No subaru lovin for you til then
Subscribed to see how this works out.

GL
nmlittlebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
colin1234567
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212639
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
WRX= 13/SWP/SOLD
'10 NC2 Miata

Default

She put premium gas in that dog sled?
colin1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranstaSWP View Post
DAMN IT!

My wife's stock 2015 WRX with CVT engine started making a knocking sound a week ago. Car has 9,852 miles on it...yea she does a lot of driving! She came home and told me the engine started making a weird sound. I went out and started her up, and heard a faint knocking sound and it became more prominent as I gave her some gas. I ask my wife WTH did you do to her! (WRONG WAY TO APPROACH HER!!)

A few days later after the argument, we had the car towed to Subaru Dealer and they are pulling the engine apart to trouble shoot the issue.

The wife told me she accidentally downshift as she was gassing it on a turn. It may be users fault
, but damn I didn't expect it since its still a new car! I'll keep you guys updated.
The system won't let her do anything that is detrimental to the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
Time cost, loss of work cost, inconvenience cost, stress cost, loss of value cost. I can think of tons of cost involved that you never get reimbursed for. You get free labor and a new engine (that could potentially fail in the same way if there is an actual defect with the block). By no means comprehensive as it should be.
For some reason, this particular reason angered me. For the rest, SSLP. There still is inconvenience though. Depends on the dealer; but, that could even be lessened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
On a traditional geared transmission, yes gassing it can cause a downshift.

With a CVT, it's ConstanTly Variable. So there are no gears. Hence why it's been said she couldn't down shift.

It still "shifts" to a lower ratio. Down "shifting". Dang thick headed folks.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
SoapBox
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
S54 E46, N54 E82,
N55 E84, AKA REX8

Default

Definitely nothing to do with her downshif...er...changing ratios. Hoping it's not another bottom end failure, but it sounds like it.

Come on Subaru!
SoapBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
daverup
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3708
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Michigan, USA
Vehicle:
2016 RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranstaSWP View Post
DAMN IT!

My wife's stock 2015 WRX with CVT engine started making a knocking sound a week ago. Car has 9,852 miles on it...yea she does a lot of driving! She came home and told me the engine started making a weird sound. I went out and started her up, and heard a faint knocking sound and it became more prominent as I gave her some gas. I ask my wife WTH did you do to her! (WRONG WAY TO APPROACH HER!!)

A few days later after the argument, we had the car towed to Subaru Dealer and they are pulling the engine apart to trouble shoot the issue.

The wife told me she accidentally downshift as she was gassing it on a turn. It may be users fault, but damn I didn't expect it since its still a new car! I'll keep you guys updated.
I don't think any downshift would cause this with the CVT either. Did you verify that the oil was the correct type at the last service?
daverup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
a2cpc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10139
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indy/Broad Ripple
Vehicle:
WRX 09 Outback 15
Miata 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
Time cost, loss of work cost, inconvenience cost, stress cost, loss of value cost. I can think of tons of cost involved that you never get reimbursed for. You get free labor and a new engine (that could potentially fail in the same way if there is an actual defect with the block). By no means comprehensive as it should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
For some reason, this particular reason angered me. For the rest, SSLP. There still is inconvenience though. Depends on the dealer; but, that could even be lessened.

Really?! You don't see any stress (cost might be a bad additional term but I get what he meant) in the fact that your brand new car seems to have what could be a major problem? I have had only one experience that was similar and that was in 2003. I had an unknown transmission problem. First, the dealer explained that if the transmission looked abused then all the work would be on me...no stress there. They had the car for two days before the called to say they had even opened the transmission up...no stress there. They could not find the problem...no stress there. they were going to button it up and have me drive it to see if the problem returned...no stress there.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
SpamBot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 287534
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHillClimb View Post
Time cost, loss of work cost, inconvenience cost, stress cost, loss of value cost. I can think of tons of cost involved that you never get reimbursed for. You get free labor and a new engine (that could potentially fail in the same way if there is an actual defect with the block). By no means comprehensive as it should be.
Just how "comprehensive" do you expect? Do you want Subaru to take you out to lunch, let you cuddle up in their lap, and have them burp you, too?

Oh, my gawd, my new car has a new engine! How does that affect value? Inconvenience and stress? Wow, life must drive you crazy. Time cost? Oh dear, I've lost a few hours out of my life dropping my car off to have an issue taken care of. I DEMAND SUBARU GIVE ME A TIME MACHINE TO GET THAT BACK!

I hope for your sake that nothing really inconvenient or time consuming, like chemo treatments for cancer or something REALLY terrible, affects your otherwise ideal life. Good grief.
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
Hoon Goon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 335538
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2007 STi - Kornluvr
WRB

Default

Yeah in the big picture a car should never cause you any real stress. Saying that having a new $30k car turn on you should not cause stress is unrealistic and you know it. And yes, I like the idea of getting a B.J. with every short block replaced. I would start stocking up on M1 5-30 for that kind of warranty.
Hoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
SoapBox
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
S54 E46, N54 E82,
N55 E84, AKA REX8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon Goon View Post
And yes, I like the idea of getting a B.J. with every short block replaced. I would start stocking up on M1 5-30 for that kind of warranty.
Hahaha. You can stay.
SoapBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
Really?! You don't see any stress (cost might be a bad additional term but I get what he meant) in the fact that your brand new car seems to have what could be a major problem? I have had only one experience that was similar and that was in 2003. I had an unknown transmission problem. First, the dealer explained that if the transmission looked abused then all the work would be on me...no stress there. They had the car for two days before the called to say they had even opened the transmission up...no stress there. They could not find the problem...no stress there. they were going to button it up and have me drive it to see if the problem returned...no stress there.

I'll chalk this up to individuals(like preferences) then. To me, the only thing that should stress a person is their personal health(if they have something bad), or anything that can affect their kids/family. I have almost always had a backup car and if there is something wrong with my warrantied car, I would expect a SSLP from the dealer. No stress.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Vehicle:
2016 BMW M235i 6MT

Default

Rod knock and bearing failures in the new FA20?!?!?! OMG!!!!
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Dark Magic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 388318
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Salt Lake City
Vehicle:
2015 Limited WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
Just how "comprehensive" do you expect? Do you want Subaru to take you out to lunch, let you cuddle up in their lap, and have them burp you, too?

Oh, my gawd, my new car has a new engine! How does that affect value? Inconvenience and stress? Wow, life must drive you crazy. Time cost? Oh dear, I've lost a few hours out of my life dropping my car off to have an issue taken care of. I DEMAND SUBARU GIVE ME A TIME MACHINE TO GET THAT BACK!

I hope for your sake that nothing really inconvenient or time consuming, like chemo treatments for cancer or something REALLY terrible, affects your otherwise ideal life. Good grief.
Good to see the trolls out in full force...I think he has a valid reason to be upset and stressed when a new car has a issue like this. Hopefully you get cancer you miserable piece of chit.
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #21
DHRDAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204358
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Paula, CA.
Vehicle:
01 2.5RS W/ EJ257
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post
Good to see the trolls out in full force...I think he has a valid reason to be upset and stressed when a new car has a issue like this. Hopefully you get cancer you miserable piece of chit.
lol.



The thing is very few cars destroy themselves before 10K miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than 1%. So when people get upset and "stressed" because their brand new car has issues, people are usually the reason. So in essence i'm betting it was the driver who initially causes the problem either through poor breakin or maint.


The reason most cars break isn't because of bad cars, it's bad owners.
DHRDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Dark Magic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 388318
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Salt Lake City
Vehicle:
2015 Limited WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHRDAN View Post
lol.



The thing is very few cars destroy themselves before 10K miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than 1%. So when people get upset and "stressed" because their brand new car has issues, people are usually the reason. So in essence i'm betting it was the driver who initially causes the problem either through poor breakin or maint.


The reason most cars break isn't because of bad cars, it's bad owners.
So he shouldnt be stressed or upset about his brand new car having issues cause most likely according to a internet mechanic " he did it to himself " gotcha! thanks for the response! very enlightening
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #23
GrumpyPitbull
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313311
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHRDAN View Post

lol.

The thing is very few cars destroy themselves before 10K miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than 1%. So when people get upset and "stressed" because their brand new car has issues, people are usually the reason. So in essence i'm betting it was the driver who initially causes the problem either through poor breakin or maint.

The reason most cars break isn't because of bad cars, it's bad owners.
Ah the classic NASIOC response .... Its all the owners fault.

Head over to some other car forums. Nowhere else will you see as many blown engine threads as you see here. So either all the idiots of the car world flock to Subaru, or Subaru makes engines that are prone to issues.
GrumpyPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #24
SoapBox
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
S54 E46, N54 E82,
N55 E84, AKA REX8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post

Good to see the trolls out in full force...I think he has a valid reason to be upset and stressed when a new car has a issue like this. Hopefully you get cancer you miserable piece of chit.
Well that escalated quickly...
SoapBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPitbull View Post

all the idiots of the car world flock to Subaru
Honda owners that got a new smartphone.
Psychoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.