Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 6, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
Churchless
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349150
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Vehicle:
09 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default Warning about Derrick Tackett and Anarchy Motive

So I bought a shift knob from AM, and it immediately started cracking. I emailed Derrick about it, and he kept assuring me that he would replace it. After 9 months he still hadn't replaced it. I ended up plastidipping it after I told him that I was going to. He said "no worries". Finally he said that he had one to send to me, but he needed the old one first. I sent it to him, and now he's saying that the plasti dip caused it, and he won't warranty the knob. Not only that, but he is refusing to send the old one back unless I pay for shipping AGAIN!. Here is the complete transcript of our emails.

I put this out there to warn all of you, and because I'm pretty much out $85 + shipping costs to send it back + the shipping costs I'm sure I'll end up paying to get the old one back.

Since he delayed everything so long I'm sure I have no recourse with PayPal either.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Churchless; 12-16-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Churchless is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Brandon2k13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 376571
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Vehicle:
A Subawooooo

Default

Before this gets locked. You should post it in the right section:


Car Part Reviews: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

or,

Vendor Reviews: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

And you dropbox link doesn't work. Hope your situation gets fixed. Sorry to hear about it, bummer man.
Brandon2k13 is offline  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Ha, way to not be honest about the situation.

I said that I don't warranty modified product. I never said, yea go ahead and plastidip my product. Like I said, I won't get into this here with you.

If you bought wheels, modified them and tried to get the warrantied what would the answer be? No.

Let's all put out the emails about you accusing me of stealing your product to resell it to another customer, or you swearing at me, after you modified my product and then expected me to warranty it. This is the first time in 3 years I've refused a warranty claim, this is also the first time I've ever had a customer feel that it was ok to modify a product and then try and warranty it.

I don't know in what thought process you have that you can modify a product and they will still warranty it. It's like modifying your Subaru, once you do it your warranty will be void. There is no company that will warranty products once they've been modified, why would I be subject to a different set of rules because you want it.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Brandon2k13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 376571
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Vehicle:
A Subawooooo

Default

Maybe that shift knob was, thebestthatcouldyoudo?

Brandon2k13 is offline  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon2k13 View Post
Maybe that shift knob was, the best that could you do?

Clever
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
I Like Cooters
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
Ha, way to not be honest about the situation.

I said that I don't warranty modified product. I never said, yea go ahead and plastidip my product. Like I said, I won't get into this here with you.

If you bought wheels, modified them and tried to get the warrantied what would the answer be? No.

Let's all put out the emails about you accusing me of stealing your product to resell it to another customer, or you swearing at me, after you modified my product and then expected me to warranty it. This is the first time in 3 years I've refused a warranty claim, this is also the first time I've ever had a customer feel that it was ok to modify a product and then try and warranty it.

I don't know in what thought process you have that you can modify a product and they will still warranty it. It's like modifying your Subaru, once you do it your warranty will be void. There is no company that will warranty products once they've been modified, why would I be subject to a different set of rules because you want it.
Twit. If I Plasti Dip a shift knob, then I have modified beyond it beyond recognition and voided its warranty?
I Like Cooters is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
Twit. If I Plasti Dip a shift knob, then I have modified beyond it beyond recognition and voided its warranty?
Yes. I've seen first hand multiple time plastidip pull powdercoat, OEM paint, and aftermarket paint off parts. Not even parts that were done by my coater, but by others. I've seem em take powder off Work wheels FFS. It's not just Oh I pulled it off.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #8
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
It's like modifying your Subaru, once you do it your warranty will be void. There is no company that will warranty products once they've been modified, why would I be subject to a different set of rules because you want it.
Actually, this is 100% incorrect.

The only thing that can void a warranty on a Subaru is if the car has been issued a salvage title, or if the manufacturer obtains concrete proof the car was used in timed motorsports or sanctioned racing.

If the car has been modified, the warranty work can be denied, but the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the modification caused the damage.

I have no idea how your warranty is written or what the language is, but if you were selling Subaru's, you'd have some work to do before you could deny his claim.
Annihilator817 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

That's not true at all, but I'm not going to argue with you.

Any modification that changes the operation of the vehicle can be cause for a warranty claim to be denied.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
nynextel88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 390107
Join Date: May 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2016 STi
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Honestly when the OP stated in his email that he would just plasti dip it for the time being you really should have said to him "if you do that unfortunately I won't be able to replace the knob."

You should have been clear to him in your policy if the shift knob was modified.

Not tell him "ok, no worries man". Sorry but I really think you should make this right, or at the very least front the $4.95 to USPS his knob back.
nynextel88 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynextel88 View Post
Honestly when the OP stated in his email that he would just plasti dip it for the time being you really should have said to him "if you do that unfortunately I won't be able to replace the knob."

You should have been clear to him in your policy if the shift knob was modified.

Not tell him "ok, no worries man". Sorry but I really think you should make this right, or at the very least front the $4.95 to USPS his knob back.
I should have been more clear.

Label has already been made to ship his back.
9405511899561828240975
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
That's not true at all, but I'm not going to argue with you.

Any modification that changes the operation of the vehicle can be cause for a warranty claim to be denied.
Don't take my word for it.

Just open the warranty pamphlet inside the glove compartment of every Subaru ever sold.

Again, I don't know the language of the warranty of your product, I'm assuming you didn't lift it from Subaru, so it's likely different.

But you are definitely incorrect about the Subaru warranty.
Annihilator817 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #13
nynextel88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 390107
Join Date: May 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2016 STi
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Well I commend you for at least making part of this right. However, in the future if a customer is telling you they have a problem and may "modify" it until replacement is sent, just be a little more honest about your policy for warranty purposes.
nynextel88 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
Don't take my word for it.

Just open the warranty pamphlet inside the glove compartment of every Subaru ever sold.

Again, I don't know the language of the warranty of your product, I'm assuming you didn't lift it from Subaru, so it's likely different.

But you are definitely incorrect about the Subaru warranty.
If Subaru has an inkling about the aftermarket product causing the issue they will deny your claim. That's a fact. It's been proven time and time again. They will look for any reason to deny claims. Regardless of what you want to say, it's not incorrect. I've seen warranty claims denied because while under service they used non-subaru oil.

BTW Subaru didn't put my warranty in my glovebox, they went over it and handed it directly to me. Had to read it before signing the purchase contract.

Should have been more clear. This incident made me definitely write it out.
http://www.anarchymotive.com/warranty
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
If Subaru has an inkling about the aftermarket product causing the issue they will deny your claim. That's a fact. It's been proven time and time again. They will look for any reason to deny claims. Regardless of what you want to say, it's not incorrect. I've seen warranty claims denied because while under service they used non-subaru oil.

BTW Subaru didn't put my warranty in my glovebox, they went over it and handed it directly to me. Had to read it before signing the purchase contract.

Should have been more clear. This incident made me definitely write it out.
http://www.anarchymotive.com/warranty

The part bolded is actually against federal law under the Moss Magnuson Act. There is no dealer in the country stupid enough to attempt to deny a claim for that reason.

This is also covered in the warranty pamphlet.

Do you just make this stuff up?

Also, since you say you revised the warranty language since this incident, what was the old language, as the old language is what applies here, not your 'new policy'.
Annihilator817 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
The part bolded is actually against federal law under the Moss Magnuson Act. There is no dealer in the country stupid enough to attempt to deny a claim for that reason.

Do you just make this stuff up?
Because being against the law has totally stopped every dealer on earth from doing something.

We're so off topic.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #17
Scrambler 900
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 392481
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Take this **** private children. I don't wanna hear it.
Scrambler 900 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #18
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
Because being against the law has totally stopped every dealer on earth from doing something.

We're so off topic.
It's not an issue if an ignorant consumer just accepts Subaru's decision. However, an informed consumer will make for a very uncomfortable situation for a company that brakes the law to defraud customers.

And it's not off topic since you are claiming your warranty is like that of Subaru. You are the one that drew their warranty into this.
Annihilator817 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #19
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
It's not an issue if an ignorant consumer just accepts Subaru's decision. However, an informed consumer will make for a very uncomfortable situation for a company that brakes the law to defraud customers.

And it's not off topic since you are claiming your warranty is like that of Subaru. You are the one that drew their warranty into this.
Entirely off topic, nice try though.

Let me paint my car with plastidip and then expect Subaru to warranty my paint.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
I Like Cooters
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 394806
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
Entirely off topic, nice try though.

Let me paint my car with plastidip and then expect Subaru to warranty my paint.
Quite off-topic. I thought the issue here was a shift knob you wouldn't stand behind, not a Subaru car's paint job.
I Like Cooters is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #21
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
Entirely off topic, nice try though.

Let me paint my car with plastidip and then expect Subaru to warranty my paint.
Again, you don't understand how the warranty works.

I could port my turbo, build my motor, and put a straight pipe on my car, blow everything up, and every single part on the car, even the broken parts, would still have a warranty.

Work can be denied, but the manufacturer must prove the damage was caused by the warranty.

If I plastidip my car, remove it, see damage, and then ask for warranty work to repair the damage, Subaru must prove that the plastidip was the cause of the damage.

And again, even if a claim is denied, there is still a warranty on every part of the car including the paint. Modifications cannot void a warranty on any Subaru (or any other manufacturer for that matter), only salvage and racing can.

I will say your avoiding certain questions I've asked, and your apparent lack of comprehension about what is spelled out very clearly in your warranty pamphlet, does not inspire confidence that you understand your own warranty on the product you sell.
Annihilator817 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #22
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Cooters View Post
Quite off-topic. I thought the issue here was a shift knob you wouldn't stand behind, not a Subaru car's paint job.
I'll stand behind my product, have stood behind it in the past. However, I won't stand behind something that's been modified.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #23
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
Again, you don't understand how the warranty works.

I could port my turbo, build my motor, and put a straight pipe on my car, blow everything up, and every single part on the car, even the broken parts, would still have a warranty.

Work can be denied, but the manufacturer must prove the damage was caused by the warranty.

If I plastidip my car, remove it, see damage, and then ask for warranty work to repair the damage, Subaru must prove that the plastidip was the cause of the damage.

And again, even if a claim is denied, there is still a warranty on every part of the car including the paint. Modifications cannot void a warranty on any Subaru (or any other manufacturer for that matter), only salvage and racing can.

I will say your avoiding certain questions I've asked, and your apparent lack of comprehension about what is spelled out very clearly in your warranty pamphlet, does not inspire confidence that you understand your own warranty on the product you sell.
You must be right, I don't understand my own warranty. In that it's so simple as you modify the product and I don't warranty it.
besthaticouldo is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #24
Dn41387
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 202895
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default

How did the shiftknob start "cracking", was it the color/coating or was it the material?

I dont see how plastidip can cause the material to crack especially if its metal.
Dn41387 is offline  
Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #25
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
You're high as a ****ing kite if you think this is true.
I don't think it, I know it, as does everyone else that has ever cracked their warranty pamphlet on any new car sold in the US in the last 30 years.

Modifications cannot void a warranty. This is indisputable. Its not my opinion.

And no need to accuse me of being intoxicated.
Annihilator817 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.