Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 15, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default PRL Motorsports Charge Pipe Kit Installation Writeup

After countless requests for an installation writeup, we finally had the chance to put together a writeup for you guys. This installation guide should be applicable for pretty much any aftermarket charge pipe kit on the market as well.

What you should see when you open the box:




First, pop the two plastic tabs for the air duct off with a flathead screwdriver.


Your engine bay should now look like this.



Loosen the two 10mm bolts on top of the fan to remove the fan. Make sure to disconnect the fan wiring clip at the bottom of the fan before completely removing the fan!



Loosen the clamp at the throttle body end of the charge pipe.


Locate the two 12mm bolts at the end of the charge pipe near the turbo and remove them with an extension or series of extensions.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Remove the three vacuum/boost lines near the BPV to give accessibility.


So it should look like this.


Remove the clamp at the recirc portion of the BPV to remove the factory charge pipe assembly as so:


Quick comparison:


Be sure to install a gasket the flange of the lower charge pipe. It is usually okay to reuse the factory gasket.


Assemble your new recirc hose with the 45 degree end attached to the with bead-rolled aluminum piece like so:


Install that piece to the factory location keeping the clamps loose for any rotation needed:


Reroute the supplied vacuum line to factory locations


Assemble the lower charge pipe piece with the BPV hose, keep clamps loose for any needed rotation.


Attach the lower charge pipe piece, tightening down any loose connections. Tighten the 12mm bolts to 16NM or 11.8 ft /lbs.

Last edited by PRL Motorsports; 07-06-2016 at 11:25 AM.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Install the upper charge pipe, checking for clearance. There will be some wiggle room and the pipes can slide in and out of both couplers to allow any needed space changes.


The charge pipe kit should fit like this:








Last edited by PRL Motorsports; 01-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
swrdply400mrelay
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 309811
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston
Default

Thanks!
swrdply400mrelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post
Thanks!
No problem!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
hekler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 388366
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2016 SUBARU WRX(cvt)
CBS w/eyesight

Default

Just came across the install write up and its very well done.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks
hekler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
dwelker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 384247
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekler View Post
Just came across the install write up and its very well done.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks
Feedback on the product or the install? They have the directions nicely laid out and makes the install easy. Even without directions its not that hard to figure out where everything needs to be just using common sense. The charge pipe itself is very good and easily the best one out currently. Does make a pretty big difference on the car. Definitely worth the money and makes more difference than an intake.
dwelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
hekler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 388366
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2016 SUBARU WRX(cvt)
CBS w/eyesight

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelker View Post
Feedback on the product or the install? They have the directions nicely laid out and makes the install easy. Even without directions its not that hard to figure out where everything needs to be just using common sense. The charge pipe itself is very good and easily the best one out currently. Does make a pretty big difference on the car. Definitely worth the money and makes more difference than an intake.

Thank you. I was looking for feedback on the performance of the pipe....
hekler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 AM   #9
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelker View Post
Feedback on the product or the install? They have the directions nicely laid out and makes the install easy. Even without directions its not that hard to figure out where everything needs to be just using common sense. The charge pipe itself is very good and easily the best one out currently. Does make a pretty big difference on the car. Definitely worth the money and makes more difference than an intake.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekler View Post
Thank you. I was looking for feedback on the performance of the pipe....
There are quite a few threads on here and the '15+ WRX Facebook pages with customers giving their overwhelmingly positive feedback. We stand behind our products 100% If you are ever unhappy about anything with one of our products, we will do whatever it takes to ensure you walk away with a positive experience, though I don't foresee you having any problems
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
staro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 391374
Join Date: May 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Escondido
Vehicle:
2015 15 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Default

What foot lbs did you use to tighten the lower charge pipe to the turbo?
staro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
ScoobNoob89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419506
Join Date: Apr 2015
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Arrest Me Red

Default

This was basically the only negative thing I could comment about the PRL kit: lack of directions. Even then, they've built it to where you can't install something where it doesn't belong. Was just a bit frustrating trying to solve the puzzle while under the car. Great mod though and would highly recommend it, especially for the price.
ScoobNoob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #12
staro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 391374
Join Date: May 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Escondido
Vehicle:
2015 15 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobNoob89 View Post
This was basically the only negative thing I could comment about the PRL kit: lack of directions. Even then, they've built it to where you can't install something where it doesn't belong. Was just a bit frustrating trying to solve the puzzle while under the car. Great mod though and would highly recommend it, especially for the price.
Does anyone know the torque specs for the two 12mm bolts that going into the turbo?
staro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #13
Nuked
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 110329
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Morgantown, WV
Vehicle:
2016 Mustang GT PP
Triple Yellow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staro View Post
Does anyone know the torque specs for the two 12mm bolts that going into the turbo?
I just tightened them like any other bolt that was going into aluminum? Haven't had any issues or leaks in over 4k miles so far.
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staro View Post
What foot lbs did you use to tighten the lower charge pipe to the turbo?
Factory torque spec is 16NM or 11.8 ft / lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobNoob89 View Post
This was basically the only negative thing I could comment about the PRL kit: lack of directions. Even then, they've built it to where you can't install something where it doesn't belong. Was just a bit frustrating trying to solve the puzzle while under the car. Great mod though and would highly recommend it, especially for the price.
We apologize for any confusion. We will do our best to resolve this issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staro View Post
Does anyone know the torque specs for the two 12mm bolts that going into the turbo?
Listed above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
I just tightened them like any other bolt that was going into aluminum? Haven't had any issues or leaks in over 4k miles so far.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #15
dogtrumpert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 418964
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oz
Vehicle:
2015 wrx
blue

Default

tune required?
dogtrumpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtrumpert View Post
tune required?
No tuning required (the gains we claim are from a Cobb OTS Stage 1 map), though we recommend a Pro Tune for even better results!
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #17
cardude007617
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216556
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee WI
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRL Motorsports View Post
No tuning required (the gains we claim are from a Cobb OTS Stage 1 map), though we recommend a Pro Tune for even better results!
so approximately, what could results be on a stock (tune and stock intake) car? your website shows +19hp and +33 trq which are pretty decent gaines.

thanks!
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #18
Shawn15wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 417314
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: cleveland ohio
Vehicle:
2015 wrx
cwp

Default

I have Prl charge pipe on my 15 and love it great product next for m is prl tvg delete and egr
Shawn15wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #19
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
so approximately, what could results be on a stock (tune and stock intake) car? your website shows +19hp and +33 trq which are pretty decent gaines.

thanks!
We expect similar gains from a stock car. We chose the Stage 1 map to test with because we understand that most of our customers use at least a Stage 1 map to fix factory ECU "glitches." We've had numerous customers tell me on stock map cars that the charge pipe gains were a night and day difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn15wrx View Post
I have Prl charge pipe on my 15 and love it great product next for m is prl tvg delete and egr
That's great to hear, we appreciate the support! Awesome, let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Spencer
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
cardude007617
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216556
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee WI
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRL Motorsports View Post
We expect similar gains from a stock car. We chose the Stage 1 map to test with because we understand that most of our customers use at least a Stage 1 map to fix factory ECU "glitches." We've had numerous customers tell me on stock map cars that the charge pipe gains were a night and day difference!



That's great to hear, we appreciate the support! Awesome, let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Spencer
That's sort of the same answer I've gathered from other comments and other threads talking about these. Sort of hard to believe it can be that restricted stock. I guess the only other question is, would SOA deny a power train claim over this part being installed?

Thanks for the quick response!
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
SlimSubie76
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450379
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
so approximately, what could results be on a stock (tune and stock intake) car? your website shows +19hp and +33 trq which are pretty decent gaines.

thanks!
Dyno numbers are based off of a bone stock 2015 WRX with ETS 3" cat-back exhaust and Cobb Stage 1 reflash on an AWD Dynojet on the same day with 3 back-to-back pulls with each mod to check for consistency. This particular dyno already had our J-Pipe / Midpipe Combo installed as well.

Long time lurker/first time poster, I believe @cardude007617 and others want to know what your product will do for our vehicles where in which we don't plan on tuning for awhile. Obviously your product is much better than oem, but without a tune for it -will it be worth the money?
SlimSubie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #22
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
That's sort of the same answer I've gathered from other comments and other threads talking about these. Sort of hard to believe it can be that restricted stock. I guess the only other question is, would SOA deny a power train claim over this part being installed?

Thanks for the quick response!
No problem! Honestly, we were quite shocked as well. We knew we would see gains, but not like what we saw on the dyno! It's hard to say what they would or wouldn't cover, though the part is easy to remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSubie76 View Post
Dyno numbers are based off of a bone stock 2015 WRX with ETS 3" cat-back exhaust and Cobb Stage 1 reflash on an AWD Dynojet on the same day with 3 back-to-back pulls with each mod to check for consistency. This particular dyno already had our J-Pipe / Midpipe Combo installed as well.

Long time lurker/first time poster, I believe @cardude007617 and others want to know what your product will do for our vehicles where in which we don't plan on tuning for awhile. Obviously your product is much better than oem, but without a tune for it -will it be worth the money?
Thanks for that, it's been hectic today to reply! These cars aren't tuned, just OTS Cobb reflashed maps. We have never had a car come through the shop without an AccessPort or not looking for a tune, so we don't have any numbers for stock map cars. The odds of a non-reflashed car going on the dyno are pretty low. However, we have received numerous calls, emails, messages, comments, etc from customers raving about the noticeable gains on their stock cars.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #23
cardude007617
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216556
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee WI
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

I understand. Most people who mod, go to the length of tuning.

Any audible differences with this installed? Just curious
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #24
PRL Motorsports
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 420981
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Export, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I understand. Most people who mod, go to the length of tuning.

Any audible differences with this installed? Just curious
It's mildly audible, not quite as noticeable as an intake or exhaust mod.
PRL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #25
ovo_92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 441056
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OAHU, HAWAII
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
BLK

Default Write it play by play.

Props for the bomb write up
ovo_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.