Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 15, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FB Series Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
grindMARC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23547
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Trenton, NJ
Vehicle:
13 Focus ST
Blurple

Default 2011 Forrester with oil all over engine bay

A friend just called me up saying he took his car in for an oil change at NTB and the tech told him there was oil all over the engine bay. It's not that cap, not the dip stick. He's bringing it by after work for me to have a look at it. He said there have been no leaks under the car at all. Funny thing, when he called me from the store, I didn't realize he was at an oil change shop. I asked him to ask the "mechanic" where the oil was leaking from. No lie, he says, "its coming from the engine."

Anyone have any theories of what might be the cause? I think it has 100k on the clock.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
grindMARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
grindMARC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23547
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Trenton, NJ
Vehicle:
13 Focus ST
Blurple

Default

There's oil under the air conditioner compressor coming from the front of the motor. Is that a cam seal or a main seal?
grindMARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
MikeWRX90
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 367671
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: 845 NY
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Its either coming from the front timing cover, or from one of the cam carriers. My bet is the front cover since they are notorious for leaking after a while. Ive done a ton of them at work, and requires a re seal. Hope this helps.
MikeWRX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
grindMARC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23547
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Trenton, NJ
Vehicle:
13 Focus ST
Blurple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWRX90 View Post
Its either coming from the front timing cover, or from one of the cam carriers. My bet is the front cover since they are notorious for leaking after a while. Ive done a ton of them at work, and requires a re seal. Hope this helps.
I had a better look at it today in the sunlight. It's definitely coming from the bottom of the timing cover on both sides. Since he has 90k on the clock does this repair add much to the cost of a timing belt job?
grindMARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
MikeWRX90
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 367671
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: 845 NY
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindMARC View Post
I had a better look at it today in the sunlight. It's definitely coming from the bottom of the timing cover on both sides. Since he has 90k on the clock does this repair add much to the cost of a timing belt job?
No timing belt, timing chain, and it all depends. If both cam carriers are leaking the engine will need to come out for them to be resealed, and the front timing cover will need to be removed anyway to perform that. If its just the front timing cover, it can be re sealed with the engine in the car.
MikeWRX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
grindMARC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23547
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Trenton, NJ
Vehicle:
13 Focus ST
Blurple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWRX90 View Post
No timing belt, timing chain, and it all depends. If both cam carriers are leaking the engine will need to come out for them to be resealed, and the front timing cover will need to be removed anyway to perform that. If its just the front timing cover, it can be re sealed with the engine in the car.
Thanks, man. This info is really helpful. It sounds like he's going to trade it as is.
grindMARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:08 AM   #7
MikeWRX90
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 367671
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: 845 NY
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindMARC View Post
Thanks, man. This info is really helpful. It sounds like he's going to trade it as is.
Glad I could help!
MikeWRX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 AM   #8
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
'12 Sport Limited
Mobil 1 0W20 154,001 mi

Default

This happened on my FB20 engine as well. First the timing chain cover was resealed in Oct 2014 and then the engine pulled to reseal the cam carrier in Jan 2015. I was under powertrain warranty, so no charge.

MikeWRX90, what's the cost in labor hours for this? Even though it was no charge, the first time took 8 hours and the second time pulling the engine took four days.

It's been 48,000 miles since the repair and the bottom of my engine is all dry under the cam carriers, rocker covers and timing chain cover. If this is all that's wrong with your friends forester, it might be worthwhile to fix.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2671822
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
grindMARC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23547
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Trenton, NJ
Vehicle:
13 Focus ST
Blurple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
This happened on my FB20 engine as well. First the timing chain cover was resealed in Oct 2014 and then the engine pulled to reseal the cam carrier in Jan 2015. I was under powertrain warranty, so no charge.

MikeWRX90, what's the cost in labor hours for this? Even though it was no charge, the first time took 8 hours and the second time pulling the engine took four days.

It's been 48,000 miles since the repair and the bottom of my engine is all dry under the cam carriers, rocker covers and timing chain cover. If this is all that's wrong with your friends forester, it might be worthwhile to fix.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2671822
You'd better knock on wood! There are a lot of people with recurring leaks after the cam carriers swap and resealing the cover!

After talking with him more this morning, I think he's going to take it to the Subbie store for an estimate on the cover. Of course, he won't know if it needs carriers until the cover is off. But, if it does need carriers, I think he's going to just have them reseal the cover and hopefully stop the leaks long enough for him to trade it. If the carriers look ok, he'll probably keep driving it for a while.
grindMARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.