Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 25, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235475
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Default Scanning for codes in “Test Mode” (Green Connectors) with Cobb AccessPort

I’m looking for someone with a 2008 WRX that can perform a code scan, or has already done it, in Test Mode, as in with the green connectors connected. It would have to be a 2008 specifically.

For those who don’t know, for the 2008+ WRX, the green connectors are located under the floor carpet on the passenger side. You’ll have to pull up the carpet so that the ecu is exposed and they’ll be at the left side, between the ecu and center console.

The reason I ask is because I want to compare codes, if any are activated, so I can know whether the codes I have are real or just activated due to being in Test Mode. I went to the dealer a few weeks ago and they told me that several codes were activated and could not be cleared. Scanning normally doesn’t show any codes, which is why I tried scanning in Test Mode and got the results explained below.

I spoke with Cobb about this, but because the green connectors are not used for 08+ WRX/STi, they haven’t performed the same tests I have.

So far, apart from my 2008 WRX, I’ve performed the scan in a 2014 WRX, and codes were similar, but not the same, so I’m guessing it’s because of the difference in model years. That’s why I ask for a 2008 specifically.

The codes in my 2008 were:
P0140- Rear O2 sensor circuit no activity
P1152- Front O2 Sensor range/perf low
P1153- Front O2 Sensor range/perf high
P0852- Neutral Switch input high

I confirmed that the P0852 code is irrelevant and it will always activate when scanning in test mode. This happened for both the 2008 and 2014, and it activates due to shifter position. Once the code is activated, you move the shifter from neutral to gear, or gear to neutral (doesn’t matter what position it started in) and the code will clear when you scan again.

The codes in the 2014 were:
P2195- Front O2 sensor signal biased/stuck lean
P2196- Front O2 sensor signal biased/stuck rich

The 2014 doesn’t show a code for the rear O2 sensor, and I assume the difference in front O2 sensor codes is due to the difference in model years. I’m planning to replace the rear O2 sensor because I’m finding that the AP readings from it are bit crazy and very different while logging under the same conditions, and because of the P0140 code. So, I want to see if any other 2008’s specifically show the same codes as mine.

When scanning in Test Mode, you’ll hear a bunch of relays clicking, fans going on and off, ac compressor clutch activating, etc. Don’t be scared...

If anyone can or has done this, please let me know your results.
cianuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
shootnjunky
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500372

I just purchased an 08 wrx and have these exact same codes. I am going to see if the test connectors are plugged in.

Did you find anything out since your post?
shootnjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnjunky View Post
I just purchased an 08 wrx and have these exact same codes. I am going to see if the test connectors are plugged in.

Did you find anything out since your post?
I bought a scanner, iCarsoft HNM II, which has access to more than your regular OBD II scanner or Cobb AP. Had a bunch of CAN Bus codes activated, but that's an issue on another thread: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2857013

The codes only show up when in Test Mode, even in the new scanner. I tried erasing them, but they stay.

As for the O2 sensors, I believe both are bad, and probably the MAF as well. When I compared to my friend's WRX, MAF ranges are off by 0.2 volts, which makes a significant difference in air flow, hence fuel. I haven't replaced them yet cause of $$$.

I tried an extender on the rear O2 sensor, and readings are similar, but I'm noticing that the correction for that sensor is always negative, and the front sensor always shows positive, but if you add the values, it's as if they cancel each other in terms of what they're telling the ecu to do.

What I still need to compare is resistance (ohm) readings. The scanner shows 31 ohms and the front sensor in both my car and my wife's 2010 Forester. I want to test on my friend's WRX too to determine whether both my cars have bad sensors, or if that's the readout they're supposed to give in operation. Testing the heater on both while off and cold gave me 2.9 ohms on the Forester and 4.0 on my WRX.

I won't know anything more regarding that until I replace both sensors and the MAF.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
shootnjunky
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500372

so I unplugged the green connector and the test mode activities went away.

right now I have the air pump codes is all that appears when scanning

I do have CEL, Cruise, Hill Assist, Traction Control, and TPMS lights on.

TPMS should go away once i recode that

Others I am not sure they will go away when the air pump is coded out.

I did replace the rear o2 and the neutral safety switch and will probably do the front. but going to test the resistance at some point soon.
shootnjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnjunky View Post
so I unplugged the green connector and the test mode activities went away.

right now I have the air pump codes is all that appears when scanning

I do have CEL, Cruise, Hill Assist, Traction Control, and TPMS lights on.

TPMS should go away once i recode that

Others I am not sure they will go away when the air pump is coded out.

I did replace the rear o2 and the neutral safety switch and will probably do the front. but going to test the resistance at some point soon.

You’ll need to scan with a Snap On scanner or one like mine to see which codes are causing the hill assist and traction lights to stay on. The tpms is probably one or all sensors going bad. The CEL can be checked with any normal scanner, and the Cruise light will stay on due to that, until you’ve fixed and cleared any P codes still active.