Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 15, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
soobfan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155797
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
CGM

Default Reverse upgrade from STI to WRX Cluster but now ABS & Brake light?

Ok I've done a ton of researching but I have yet to run into someone going from STI cluster back to a WRX cluster.

Bought an 07 WRX that came with STI cluster. The only lights on there was airbag due to having JDM Sti seats (working on finding stock seats now) and DCCD but never seen an ABS or Brake light while driving.

I go put the WRX cluster back on and now I have a permanent ABS and Brake light that wasn't there before. What is the difference in the cluster that could be causing this? I read cluster swap directions and apparently it's plug and play. Wasn't sure if I should chase down any custom wiring but apparently that's not a thing with cluster swaps...

After some research I checked fuse #8 in the fuse compartment under the steering wheel and it was good. I also pulled out the front wheel sensors and cleaned them but light is still there. Brake fluid is perfectly full too.

Any next steps I should take? I have a feeling maybe something was modified to get the STI cluster to work fine. Maybe I just need to reverse that but what it could be is a mystery to me. I'd love any advice on this. Thanks all!
soobfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Muffin15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326958
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
San Remo Red

Hello! I swapped an 06 STI cluster into my 06 WRX this summer. Thereís some pin-swapping and snipping to get it to play nice.

Wire C9 HAS to be cut on the WRX harness to keep the STI cluster from buzzing constantly. I believe it comes from the WRX body control module and Iím pretty sure itís just power.

Cruise control function requires you to swap B28 to B16 in the WRX plug. I think the opposite pin is unused when stock.

B4 has to be grounded to keep the rear diff temp light from illuminating constantly on the STI cluster. I cut mine and extended and grounded to the chassis. This is the auto trans oil temp light otherwise, when in the WRX.

Aside from shaving one of the plugs these were the only modifications I had to make. None of this sounds like it would affect what you have going on there, though, unfortunately.

I did make a pin-out diagram in a spreadsheet to compare the WRX and STI plugs when I did my swap. I can definitely send it if you want to message me. Hopefully this is helpful! I did a lot of reading before swapping mine and donít remember seeing anyone messing with much else aside from these few things so Iím unsure of what else they might have done that would cause those symptoms if it is indeed the cluster
Muffin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #3
soobfan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155797
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Wagon
CGM

Thanks Muffin15! See that's exactly what I was thinking. If there were modifications made to fit the STI cluster then all I'd need to do is reverse those mods and I'll be back to normal. But I'd need to confirm those were even done...

I have an 07 WRX so I'm assuming my cluster is an 07 but based on the previous owner, he told me it has an "05 STI cluster w/ working shift light and buzzer"

Based on that description, do you know if there are any mods needed to make an 05 sti cluster functional in an 07 with the light and buzzer working?
soobfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Muffin15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326958
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
San Remo Red

Unfortunately I'm not as well-versed on the other model-year clusters. I do believe the earlier STI clusters are essentially plug and play with the right year WRXs though! There's some good threads here if you look around!
Muffin15 is offline   Reply With Quote