Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 27, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524861
Thumbs down Fuel pressure drop at WOT

I know others have had this issue and I cant seem to find a resolution anywhere.

My STI isnít raising fuel pressure under boost. I have base pressure set to 43.5psi and under boost my fuel pressure diff actual drops down into 20s. It would seem that the AFPR is bad, but Iíve replaced my regulator, fuel pump, injector o rings, done a smoke test, tested the hard wiring to the pump and nothing will make fuel pressure rise enough to keep my diff actual a consistent 43.5. The only other thing I could think to do would be pull every line out and inspect for holes but the bay doesnít smell like gas. This issue happened out of no where.

Mods list:
Walbro 450lph pump with hardwire kit
Injector dynamics 1300cc injectors
Aeromotive AFPR
Cobb flex fuel/fuel pressure sensor
e_navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
Marvick08GT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469091

Did you change the filter? (It's part of the pump assembly.)
Marvick08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvick08GT View Post
Did you change the filter? (It's part of the pump assembly.)
yes I should have mentioned that. I removed the in tank OEM filter and have an external 10micron radium filter which is new
Old 07-04-2021, 11:21 PM   #4
benflynn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 515308

Is it the calibration correct for the sensor? Wires correct? Pressure been verified with a mech gauge?
benflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benflynn View Post
Is it the calibration correct for the sensor? Wires correct? Pressure been verified with a mech gauge?
Itís wired to the tgv, Iíve swapped out to an AEM sensor and noticed it reads about 10psi lower. I hooked a mechanical gauge up to my regulator and itís at 43.5 at idle and rises to about 60psi under boost, youíd think this is normal and all is fine but the car is noticeably down on power and boost, alongside the FP diff dropping. Plus the sensor was working fine... then one day not. Iím thinking maybe the harness went bad or the ecu is freaking out
Old 07-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
benflynn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 515308

The Cobb uses the fuel pressure information in the tune I think. If so Iíd disable that or unhook it and see how it runs. Or swapp it to the other tgv if u think u hurt the input or harness. I suspect we are giving the Cobb bad info and itís skewing the fueling maybe pulling boost. I run a merped flex sd rom so not so up on the Cobb
benflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benflynn View Post
The Cobb uses the fuel pressure information in the tune I think. If so Iíd disable that or unhook it and see how it runs. Or swapp it to the other tgv if u think u hurt the input or harness. I suspect we are giving the Cobb bad info and itís skewing the fueling maybe pulling boost. I run a merped flex sd rom so not so up on the Cobb
Iíll give that a shot. Thereís no one thing I can point to that caused this. It was driving fine, then one day it felt like it got fuel cut at 5-6psi of boost and then didnít want to work
Old 07-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_navarre View Post
Iíll give that a shot. Thereís no one thing I can point to that caused this. It was driving fine, then one day it felt like it got fuel cut at 5-6psi of boost and then didnít want to work
No change :/
Old 07-21-2021, 11:33 PM   #9
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Update:
Iíve since replaced the hardwire kit and fuel pressure sensor kit with no change whatsoever. Iím at a total loss of what could be causing this issue. My only thoughts could be bad injector(s), something ecu related or avcs. Any input would be greatly appreciated because Iíve replaced literally every part of the fueling system and nothing has changed.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #10
awnetve
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464787
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver

Iím having the same issue. Do you have the strainer / sock before the fuel pump? Do you see any change if you have the tank full?
awnetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #11
DansharSti04
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458775
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STI
World rally blue

Are you monitoring boost vs fuel pressure and is the pressure rising 1:1 with boost and then falling off as you stay in it causing FPDA to fall?
DansharSti04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #12
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awnetve View Post
Iím having the same issue. Do you have the strainer / sock before the fuel pump? Do you see any change if you have the tank full?
New sock did nothing and neither did a full tank of gas
Old 07-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #13
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansharSti04 View Post
Are you monitoring boost vs fuel pressure and is the pressure rising 1:1 with boost and then falling off as you stay in it causing FPDA to fall?
Monitoring boost and FPDA, which drops at any load other than cruising, more severe as boost increase
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #14
DansharSti04
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STI
World rally blue

Quote:
Monitoring boost and FPDA, which drops at any load other than cruising, more severe as boost increase
So do you build boost and fuel pressure does not rise from your base 43psi?

Last edited by DansharSti04; Yesterday at 06:17 PM.
Old Today, 05:52 AM   #15
e_navarre
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansharSti04 View Post
So do you build boost and fuel pressure does not rise from your base 43psi?
Yes and no. Fuel pressure stays a constant 43.5psi, so under any load other than idle, itíll drop into the 30s at low-med loads and 20s at high load. FPDA isnít rising with boost as it should
Old Today, 07:20 PM   #16
DansharSti04
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STI
World rally blue

Quote:
Yes and no. Fuel pressure stays a constant 43.5psi, so under any load other than idle, itíll drop into the 30s at low-med loads and 20s at high load. FPDA isnít rising with boost as it should
FPDA doesn't rise with boost, fuel pressure does. FPDA is a constant number with slight variation and is basically your base fuel pressure. It will fall thou with loss of fuel pressure showing the actual difference. Log FP, boost and FPDA and you will see where the pressure is falling off and you will see FPDA starting to fall. See if you can pinch/block off the return line and cycle key to see if the system holds pressure when primed.