Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 26, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
Hamish
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 43518
Vehicle:
1995 Skyline GTR33
Silver

Default Permit to drive UK car in US

I have to apologise for this post not being specifically related to a Subaru, although it does at least concern a Japanese performance car (Skyline GTR33). I have just accepted a job in Davis, CA and am looking into taking my car over there. I was wondering if anyone knows of the permit that I require to temporarily drive my car in the US. I think it allows visitors to use their own car there for up to one year. I'm NOT talking about registering my car over there as this is a very expensive option ($17k+ through Motorex). Just to be able to drive my car in it's present UK spec. Cheers,

Hamish
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
JewPac42
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23260
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
Patr ick Willis
for Rookie of the year

Good luck in CA, emissions laws are rediculous. Thats too bad because that would be awesome to have a Skyline is Davis. I dont know about these special permits though, I think someone with a 22B in Houston had something like that, but I am not sure.
JewPac42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default Re: Permit to drive UK car in US

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamish
I have to apologise for this post not being specifically related to a Subaru, although it does at least concern a Japanese performance car (Skyline GTR33). I have just accepted a job in Davis, CA and am looking into taking my car over there. I was wondering if anyone knows of the permit that I require to temporarily drive my car in the US. I think it allows visitors to use their own car there for up to one year. I'm NOT talking about registering my car over there as this is a very expensive option ($17k+ through Motorex). Just to be able to drive my car in it's present UK spec. Cheers,

Hamish
In conjuction with a visit to the US, any non-US resident may temporarily import any car for up to one year. It needn't comply or be made to comply with Federal safety or emissions standards or with California emissions standards. You drive on your UK driver's license and with your UK car registration and plates. There is no need to acquire a California driver's license or a California vehicle registration. This is explained (rather poorly) in:
http://www.customs.gov/ImageCache/cg...ortingacar.doc
http://www.customs.gov/ImageCache/cg...itedstates.doc

You'll need to check with your collision damage and liability insurance provider to see whether you need additional coverage. If your car has a loan outstanding (lien) or is leased, I think you'll need written permission from the lien/lease holder.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Hamish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Skyline GTR33
Silver

Jon,

Thanks for the info. That puts my mind at rest a bit. It seems like I may be able to take my baby to the US after all. It's always been a dream of mine to take a GTR over to the US and raise some eyebrows! It's good having a car that only the informed recognise! I'll just have to find a reputable carrier for it now. Cheers,

Hamish
Old 09-15-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
JewPac42
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
Patr ick Willis
for Rookie of the year

If this does work out let me know, I am close enough to Davis for most of the year and I would very badly want to come and see this car.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Hamish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Skyline GTR33
Silver

JewPac42,

No problem, if me and my car both make it over there in one piece then I'll post in this forum. Are there very few GTRs over there?

Hamish
Old 09-15-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Hamish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Skyline GTR33
Silver

Just to confuse the issue, I received this reply on another message board. The guy is basically suggesting that California is a special case and it requires that any car meet various regulations if it's going to be used there. In other words, the non-US resident temporary import rule doesn't apply. But I think what's being quoted are the regulations if I want to register the car in California, which I don't want to do. Any thoughts...

"Registering an Out-of-State Vehicle.
If your vehicle is registered in another state or foreign country, you must register the vehicle in California within 20 days after you get a job or become a resident.

Items needed to register all out-of-state vehicles are:
Comleted and signed Allpication for Registration
Verification of the vehicle completed by DMV.
Out-of-state title and /or currently issued out -of-states registration.
Smog certification.
Weight certificate.
Appropriate DMV fees
Completed odometer mileage Certificate.

Now I am not going to go into the Drivers License application itself as that is a whole nother can of worms. You will have 10 days within arrival to apply for a license.

Other matters pertaining to using your car in California;

Smog......your car cannot be smogged in California because they were never imported into Ca by the mfg. No loopholes here.

Insurance.....Our insurance companys consider this a "Grey market car, again it cannot be insured because it was never imported.

Other info that I know and have looked up for other posts.
If you are a diplomat you don't have to have a drivers license, but you must drive a registered , insured vehicle.
Federal law is supersceded by state law in all cases. U.S. says OK state says no. then the state law is valid."
Old 09-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #8
JewPac42
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
Patr ick Willis
for Rookie of the year

Thats for registration. And yes, there are maybe 2 or 3 Skylines in the Bay Area total, and I have yet to see one, although a friend of mine is looking into getting a R34 from Motorex. You might want to try and ask in the BAIC or SCIC forum here on NASIOC or the Bay Area forum on www.I-club.com
Old 09-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #9
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamish
Federal law is supersceded by state law in all cases. U.S. says OK state says no. then the state law is valid."
Federal law (and international treaties) ALWAYS trump/prevail over state laws and regulations. Remember also that you are a "traveller" (and therfore under federal jurisdiction) and not merely a "driver" (under state jurisdiction).

Last edited by Jon [in CT]; 09-15-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Hamish, You may want to contact an importer and discuss your situation. Jon is correct about the temporary importing of foreign vehicles by non-U.S. residents. Here are a few registered importers I found that are based here in California. Perhaps they can help answer your questions (specifically regarding CA). I believe their websites may provide some helpful info as well:

G & K Automotive Conversion
3231 South Standard Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705 USA
Tel: 714 545 9503 Fax: 714 545 7667
Web: http://www.gnkauto.com
e-mail: [email protected]

Northern California Diagnostic Lab
2748 Jefferson St.
Napa, CA 94558
Tel: 707 258 1611 Fax: 707 258
Web: www.ncdlinc.com/serv03.htm

Black Shrine
1760 Monrovia Avenue, Unit C-12
Costa Mesa, CA 92627 USA
Tel: 949 515 8056 Fax: 949 515 8036

Regards,
Kean
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:08 AM   #11
Hamish
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Skyline GTR33
Silver

Thanks everyone for all your help. Hopefully I can make this dream come true!! If I get to CA with the GTR (supposedly by Nov 1st, visa permitting) I'll post on the site to let you know.