Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 20, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-26-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
OuroborosXIV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 371919
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default Clunking sound on acceleration

ALRIGHTY SO here is the story. I made a terrible purchase a few months ago that i regret. My girlfriend needed a car so we found an 03 wrx that was decent shape about 157k miles on it drove it everything was alright BUTTTTT there were a few issues. Main one was i thought it was my fault first gear was grinding when i was shifting. There was a mat that didnt fit quite right so i thought oh maybe its the mat. It stopped doing it so i didnt think much of it. I was driving it and everything was good. few weeks later it started grinding again. I found out that by shifting to 2nd then to first it wouldnt grind from a stop. i kept doing that. then eventually there was this weird metal on metal grinding sound more like a rubbing sound.

(think like two rocks constantly rubbing eachother in circles https://youtu.be/1kRUiPAI9_o?t=4m18s Sort of like this just louder and more constant.)

soon after i started getting this binding/clunking sound when i was pulling out. and then it would just constantly do it.
changed out the gear oil and out came some little things that looked like this
except there were only like 2 of them

took it to a shop they said it was the centerdiff. so i said go ahead and do it. it was fine after they did it except and it didnt make the rubbing sound as much. a week later it was low on gear oil . I topped it off and i saw that the gear oil had little black spots. So today i checked it out before heading to the mountains and it was really black but full. so we took it up there and on the way there it came back again clunk clunk clunkk. SO im wondering if the grinding or something could be causing the centerdiff to go bad or if its just another problem. the amount of clunks increase dramatically when i was making a u-turn. But anyway. Sorry for this being so long. I feel like i should just buy a new transmission at this point
OuroborosXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Brad47933
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453574
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Sonic yellow

My 03 does doesn't wanna go into 1st from a roll from a dead stop it's fine but if you try to force it in first from a roll it doesn't like it at all
Brad47933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
OuroborosXIV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 371919
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad47933 View Post
My 03 does doesn't wanna go into 1st from a roll from a dead stop it's fine but if you try to force it in first from a roll it doesn't like it at all

Yea i heard a lot are like that. But mine would grind from a stop
OuroborosXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Brad47933
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Sonic yellow

When I bought it I changed the tyranny and rear dif. Tranny wasn't too bad but the rear was alot more metal than I expected
Old 12-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Brad47933
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Sonic yellow

Hopefully the synchro on clutch .?