Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > General Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2001, 07:19 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 2428
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Anaheim,CA,US
Post I need info regarding bringing a Fla state Impreza to Cal.

We are looking at a 99 Impreza that we may want to fly out and pick up.

We always wanted an excuse to drive across country,and there are a lot of places we are looking forward to seeing.

My question is,will we have problems with registration?

I know that when I was into 5.0 mustangs that there were 49 state mustangs and calif emissions compliant mustangs. Are Subies the same?

Also-are there any mondo DMV fees that we need to worry about? I know we have to pay taxes on it,but will we just transfer the title,and pay CA taxes,or do we pay Fla taxes only,and CA reg fees?

And do 99s have Maf probs stock,or is that only for those that have mod'ed the intake?


* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
socal2.2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-27-2001, 02:09 PM   #2
*** Banned ***
Member#: 1200
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: -=OTSC=-
Bureau (-=FOB=-)


Hey SoCal,

Here's what I know:
I moved out to SD last August (from Missouri) and bought my MY98 last April. I called the Calif.DMV and they said there was no longer a smog impact fee, and the car only has to pass the emissions test it was built for. So, your Fla. car will only have to pass Federal standards. You do not have to make any modifications to make your car meet Calif. emmissions. I haven't registered my car in Calif. yet, b/c I am a student, but when the time comes, it should be no prob.

I suggest you call the DMV anyways, just to make sure, but it shouldn't be a prob.

OH I just remembered...there was a catch on the sales tax. If you bring the vehicle into CA within 90 days of purchase, you must pay CA sales tax also. After 90 days, you don't have to cough up two sales taxes.
-Wait, that won't apply to you, b/c you'll probably buy the car and drive immediately to CA...
-It depends on whether the dealer makes you pay sales tax, or you pay sales tax when you register (like in missouri)
-If you're buying from a private individual, I don't know.

I hope I haven't confused you, but hopefully given you some things to look at...

mms4ba is offline  
Old 02-27-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
Scooby Specialist
Member#: 989
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York
99 RS Turbo
Graphite Gray Pearl


as for your maf probelm on the 99RS...
you will have a maf failure soon or later if you modded with intake tube..
but if you have a drop in filter then you won't have the problem...
as long as you have stock intake your maf should be fine..
hope this helps
Michael is offline  
Old 02-27-2001, 02:16 PM   #4
Mark Bebko
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 31
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Costa Mesa,CA,USA

Emissions test,$30 out-of-state transfer fees,registration fees.You shouldn't pay more than $300.
Mark Bebko is offline  
Old 02-28-2001, 01:02 AM   #5
Scooby Specialist
Member#: 1997
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Plaines, IL
2006 Acura TL 6spd
STMGM6 alumni


I brought I camry in once. They charged a $300 smog impact fee that was later deemed unconsitutional and refunded. Basically you have to meet emissions. (most 49 state vehicles will) and if not they will make you make "repairs" upto $300 (just like a regualar cal car) then you a exempt if you dont pass after that point.
Midwayman is offline  

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need info on a used LGT, or directions to a good Legacy Forum HAL1 General Community 14 03-23-2007 02:06 PM
Utah/SLC: Info needed with regards to the bar scene REX8 Off-Topic 14 12-14-2006 05:46 AM
Cal State Fullerton or Cal State LA for Masters in EE pio!pio! Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 5 08-04-2005 12:54 AM
So Or, No Cal, need 04 Impreza to test fit sub enclosure raamaudio North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 5 04-04-2005 07:59 PM
Need info for '98 RS/L front bumper to '01 RS front bumper K Rock Impreza Interior & Exterior Modification 3 02-21-2004 09:49 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.