|02-02-2001, 09:57 PM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2000
STI Short Shifter Instalation
Does anyone have pictures or know of a web site that has pics of an install of the STI short shift kit step by step? The old links no longer work.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|02-03-2001, 12:30 AM||#3|
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NH, Land Of Many TreesVehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">brendon, I'm hoping you two know each other, and one is razzing the other, otherwise, that's EXACTLY the kind of attitude we DON'T need on this UBB; thank you very much. RichardC, NO question here is a dumb question if you really don't know the answer... brendon, please have your mommy teach you that and some manners while you are at it; it was apparently missed somewhere earlier in your childhood. On with the point- I don't know of any handy step by step instructions with pics, but I can help give you a quick idea:
1) Open your center console compartment- there are two round covers, hiding two screws. Remove both.
2) Pull up on that center console piece gently. The mirror controls have a plug that you can undo- get that console off and out of your way.
3) Pull up on the shifter surround. It will come right up. Start turning the shift knob counterclockwise, and it will (eventually) come off.
4) Depending on the model year, there is or isn't a plate with 6 screws in your way. Remove it if it applies.
5) You should see all of the shifter arm now. Basically, you unscrew the bolt and then pull towards the back of the car, and it will pop out. Grease up the ball of the new shift arm.
6) Getting the new lever in is HARD, I will not kid you. Best thing to do is get a second pair of hands to hold the lever, protect the top and the threads of the lever with a block of wood, and whack the block of wood with a hammer.... HARD, VERY HARD. HARDER THAN YOU THINK YOU SHOULD.
7) After you get the new arm in the socket, reverse 1-5 to clean everything up.
8) If you have a whole kit, not just the lever, and it's either an SPT or one of the new STi kits, don't bother changing out the whole linkage... I'm afraid the stock linkage and the SPT/new STi ones are identical.
Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions you like... that's what us old fogies are here for!
AIM: NUrsalia ICQ: 84483950
Is that a chicken up there? Nope, just the way he's holding the grapefruit!
[This message has been edited by North Ursalia (edited February 02, 2001).]
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Agency Power Sti Short Shifter Installation||Soleure||Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline||13||01-12-2008 04:57 PM|
|STi short shifter installation||gopsu||Newbies & FAQs||2||05-30-2006 09:01 PM|
|stI SHORT SHIFTER INSTALL||SilverBoosted||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||5||08-14-2002 05:35 PM|
|Pictures from my STi short shifter install||gooey||Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline||0||10-13-2001 06:44 PM|