Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Outback Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
mfaoro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2565
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Default roof box on Outback 05

Has anyone put a Thule or Yakima cargo box on the 05 Outback? Does it increase the noise in the car substantially?
mfaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
OutbackVA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71030
Vehicle:
2004 Outback

I have an '04 Outback, and I've used a Thule Evolution 1600 box on top. Surprisingly, there is no additional wind noise.
OutbackVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
funk42
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76321

I have a thule evo on top and the noise is there around 60mph with the box, w/0 the box the noise starts to be noticable around 50 mph, but its tolerable.
funk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Dr. All Surface
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5647
Vehicle:
2005 OBXT
Ketchup

I sometimes have a Thule box on top of my 05 Outback XT, and even despite the sunroof being there the increase in wind noise is not too bad at all. The only down side is that the rear hatch only gois up about 85% of the way and the rear pseudo-spoiler touches the underside of the box. I have the box mounted to the factory crossbars. The setup is very stable.
Dr. All Surface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
rc_p38_pilot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77534
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
Blue

I had a Packasport box on my 05 Outback for a recent road trip. I too had the problem with the rear hatch only opening part way. I used a Yakima rack to get the box higher and forward more than I could with the stock cross bars, but it didn't help a lot. The bummer of it is the rear spoiler at the top of the hatch gets scratched pretty easily if you let the door open up enough to bump the roof box. Yakima has some taller tower mounts I'll probably try out next.

As far as wind noise - I didn't really notice it. I'm sure it was noisier, but it wasn't objectionable. It does get very windy though if you get curious about the top end...
rc_p38_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote