Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-06-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
daghdha
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32347
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
WRB

Default Mixing winter tires

hey all,

got a nail in my tire last night, and didn't even know it until the next morning when I went out and saw that I had a flat. took it in for repair and it's unrepairable. (inside all chewed up.)

so now I'm in a quandry. do I just replace that one tire? I have the dunlop M2, which is out of production, and the M3, it's replacement is hard to find a well (I think I can get it from tire rack...)

So here's my question:
1) Can I just get the one tire replaced? or should I get the pair replaced (it's the left rear)?
2) if I just get one tire, will it cause problems? (I have about 6,000 miles on the existing tires, just have gone through only one winter so far, no appreciable wear really.)
3) is mixing of winter tire brands a big no-no?

*sigh* have I mentioned how I hate chicago construction sites? every single one of my flats have happened while visiting chicago and going through/by construction.

josh.
daghdha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

You should not mix tires on an awd system....try to get a replacement...
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
Luke@tirerack
Tire Rack Moderator

Member#: 1215
Vehicle:
800 -428-8355
ext. 4362

what size is your M2 and what is the tread depth on the other 3
Luke@tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
nhluhr
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Tirerack still has the Wintersport M2's listed! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+M2 and they can shave it to match your other tires.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
daghdha
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32347
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
WRB

My M2's are stock STi...225/45/17. I called them, and it looks like they don't have any in stock at all...even with the M3's they don't have any in stock. *sigh*

so now I'm in a bind...I've been on my spare for 2 days already, and now I'm starting to get a speed dependent whine from the rear which I think is the rear diff, so I need to get this fixed soon! (I drive 50-100 miles a day)

My tread depth is 8/32, so what would you guys recommend as far as replacement tire? I would hate to get a whole new set of tires just because I busted one...

Any ideas? Luke?
daghdha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Luke@tirerack
Tire Rack Moderator

Member#: 1215
Vehicle:
800 -428-8355
ext. 4362

when new your M2's had 834 revs per mile and the pilot Alpin has 833 revs per mile ... I would buy 2 of them and put them on the back of the car
Luke@tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote