Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457484
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Default Help me find this noise before I lose my mind, please...

Hey everyone,
I've been having this noise go on with my car for such a long time. I have linked 3 videos, showing pretty much what it sounds like (ignore the people talking). The noise seems to be dependent on exhaust flow, if that makes sense. It only happens in the high rpms, when you give it at least half throttle, but if youre at a high rev just coasting, it dosent make the noise. My theory now is the wastegate actuator may be opening a small amount or something? I tried installing the grimspeed cat back adaptor, but it only fixed some small exhaust leaks. The noise is defintely coming from the back of the car, not the front, so that seems to rule out any pre turbo gasket leaks. Mods currently done are a catback exhaust, a cobb ap, and a cobb 3 port boost controller.

Sorry this is all over the place, I'm just very irritated with this sound and want it fixed already.
xrobertrushx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
dan86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456937

This noise before or after exhaust work
dan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan86 View Post
This noise before or after exhaust work
I noticed it after the exhaust was installed. It is also quieter with the silencer put in
Old 04-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
Limits_of_Grip
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433657

Are you running an external wastegate? Tuned? It sounds to me like your 3 port is opening the wastegate, like you said. Make sure you are tuned for the 3 port. If you aren't, throw your old 2 port back on and the noise will probably go away.
Limits_of_Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #5
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits_of_Grip View Post
Are you running an external wastegate? Tuned? It sounds to me like your 3 port is opening the wastegate, like you said. Make sure you are tuned for the 3 port. If you aren't, throw your old 2 port back on and the noise will probably go away.
I always joke that I just have an EWG, but no I dont. The 3 port is the cobb version, and they make a stage 1 + 3 port and a stage 2 + 3 port tune. I'm running the stage 1 tune for it. I could put the stock one back on, but I dont have the tubing with the restrictor pill in it anymore so I would have to source that.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Limits_of_Grip
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433657

Nice. I've always been ewg, so I'm not sure what the internal wg sounds like lol. I wonder if you are pushing more boost than what your wg duty cycle is tuned for. That would be my guess.
Limits_of_Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits_of_Grip View Post
Nice. I've always been ewg, so I'm not sure what the internal wg sounds like lol. I wonder if you are pushing more boost than what your wg duty cycle is tuned for. That would be my guess.
I boost pretty normal numbers, 14-16psi depending on the day. I've also had people look over datalogs before and they said the wg duty cycle seems normal.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
CarmelValleyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453872
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon
48w

just sounds like a slight whistle. probably the ****ty ricer pipe. put stock catback and a good aftermarket downpipe on it.

CarmelValleyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #9
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelValleyWRX View Post
just sounds like a slight whistle. probably the ****ty ricer pipe. put stock catback and a good aftermarket downpipe on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZD-ADArwXo
The stock catback was so absurdly quiet for me
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
mtnmarc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 385446
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP

Check all your exhaust gaskets.

Same thing happens to 02-04 crvs when they get old or crack. Sounds hilarious.
mtnmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #11
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Check all your exhaust gaskets.

Same thing happens to 02-04 crvs when they get old or crack. Sounds hilarious.
The gasket from the stock downpipe is just replaced (bought the grimmspeed adaptor in an effort to fix it), however I have another gasket for the other flange (the axle back one? not sure the technical term). I think soon I'm going to replace that, and see if the sound goes away
Old 04-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
mtnmarc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 385446
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobertrushx View Post
The gasket from the stock downpipe is just replaced (bought the grimmspeed adaptor in an effort to fix it), however I have another gasket for the other flange (the axle back one? not sure the technical term). I think soon I'm going to replace that, and see if the sound goes away
Also try swapping your stock axleback exhaust back in. It may be the muffler itself.
mtnmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
andyfloyd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87587
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobertrushx View Post
replace every gasket post turbine. If it still makes that sound it could be internal to the muffler itself.
andyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #14
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Also try swapping your stock axleback exhaust back in. It may be the muffler itself.
I don't have the stock exhaust anymore, so tomorrow I'm just gonna take the axleback off and drive it around dumping out the midpipe.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
replace every gasket post turbine. If it still makes that sound it could be internal to the muffler itself.
I will be replacing the gasket on the axleback tomorrow, and at some point soon I plan on buying a downpipe so that will cover the other gaskets
Old 04-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Update: It took a couple days longer then expected (cold and rainy), but today I took the muffler off and the noise was still there. Then I decided to unhook the midpipe because hey you never know, and the noise was gone. So, I'm thinking theres something wrong with the resonator in the midpipe, or the downpipe flange is ****ed. I'm leaning more toward the downpipe flange, because that thing has seriously seen better days. My next course of action is to buy a downpipe, probably an Injen catted one. I will update this post once that is all sorted out, because I hate looking up a thread and the poster never saying what fixed it.

Last edited by xrobertrushx; 05-01-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
xrobertrushx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon

Later update/bump. The downpipe flange never fully sealed with the midpipe, until recently when I finally got it to seal with an unholy creation of an exhaust leak fix using a donut gasket and the grimmspeed stock downpipe to 3inch cat back adaptor. However, the noise is still there. At this point, it's either something in the resonator making the noise, or something actually in the engine