Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
webbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146489
Angry 07 Wrx CLutch pedal soft Help

Hello All
I have a 2007 wrx with around 16000 miles on it. The car gets driven to and from work and thats it. Maybe 20 miles each way.
I have been feeling my clutch pedal getting softer and softer.
Its like its loosing pressure.
I took it in to the subaru service center and they said everything was fine. I have now noticed that its getting harder to take off from 1st and 2nd gear. Its like a dead spot when you shift gears.
I Know for a fact the pedal is getting way soft.
I did notice about 1.5 inch spot of fluid on the ground under the car when i first noticed this issue. But the Subaru dealer said they couldnt find anything or fluid leaking.

Car has a spt intake, spt exhaust, spt front and rear strut bars.
Pretty stock.

ANy Ideas
Thanks

Last edited by webbie; 10-11-2009 at 05:10 PM.
webbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
torinalth
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141720
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 LGT 5MT Sedan
Satin White

couple things you can look at is the resivoir and see if it is low. if it is low, then it is possible that air may have gotten into the line at some point (kinda hard to believe at 16k though). or that there is water in the system. You can start by bleeding the system clean and replacing with new fluid at the proper level.

if this does not fix it,then it is possible that the clutch master or slave cylinders are going out, and the lack of presure (and thus lack of effort) is not disengaging the clutch enough for some shifts. Friend had his master and slave go out on his forrester and it caused the pedal to go soft, and then just stop coming up.

Dunno how much you wanna try on your own... if the dealer "can not find anything wrong" then they will not check the cylinders or swap them to see if it changes anything. you are probably going to have to do it yourself, or hope its either something else or just the fluid.

T
torinalth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
webbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146489

So after many years of this pedal being soft and getting softer the clutch fork snapped in half today. I'm half!!!! After replacing it , the pedal is hard like it should be . The clutch fork all these years was bending with a small crack and finally went leaving me stranded . I replaced it with a crommoly clutch fork stage 2 comp clutch and new flywheel and she's back to feeling normal like the first day I picked it up.
webbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbie View Post
So after many years of this pedal being soft and getting softer the clutch fork snapped in half today. I'm half!!!! After replacing it , the pedal is hard like it should be . The clutch fork all these years was bending with a small crack and finally went leaving me stranded . I replaced it with a crommoly clutch fork stage 2 comp clutch and new flywheel and she's back to feeling normal like the first day I picked it up.
While a failed ToB fork can be a Subaru issue, typically it's after many years and miles in my experience.
My 98 Legacy GT 5MT broke a finger off at around 160K miles.
Our 99 Impreza L 2.2 5MT punched out the pivot pocket around 200K miles.

Both had performance aftermarket clutches, thus more effort.
For a 2 year old car with 16K miles, seems early.

Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks for the bump.....8 years later when it failed and you fixed it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Fatfett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377828

Sorry to bump this again but I'm having a similar issue on my 2007. My pedal seems to go soft every once in a while and then the pressure comes back. I swear it correlates to running the AC, but that doesn't makes any sense.

Did you do anything in the 8 years between your original post and the fork failing? Was your pedal soft the entire time or was it an intermittent issue?
Fatfett is offline   Reply With Quote