Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
amye66
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86420
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Silver

Default CEL Misfire Codes

All of the sudden today when I started my car I had a flashing "cruise" light, and a solid CEL. The codes are 300 and 302, both referring to cylinder misfire. I don't know as much as I should about my car ... do I need to worry about these immediately? What could have caused it?
amye66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

A solid CEL with stored misfire codes is not as critical as a flashing CEL which would indicate a real-time misfire. Still, this does mean that a problem has been detected. Your 04 is presumably still under warranty, take it in and have the dealer check it, unless you have cleared the codes in which case you should wait for them to come back and then take it in.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
amye66
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Silver

Default Cel

The light is solid, and it came on from out of nowhere, no noticeable changes in performance. I'm scared to death, because I'm sure our warranty is void at this point, and I'm scared to even drive it to a shop. What is a cylinder misfire? Is there any way to tell if this has really happened?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Why do you think your warranty is "void"? Presumably you have some mods? It can't be totally "voided", but individual claims may be denied if the dealer feels your mods were a cause or contributing factor to the problem.
You don't have to be scared to drive the car as long as the CEL isn't flashing. When it's solid it means the ECU has detected a misfire event at some point for the cylinder(s) indicated. This can happen randomly sometimes and may not be anything serious as long as it does not recur once cleared.
Now, should the light begin flashing, this means that a misfire is happening RIGHT NOW, and you should not drive the car any further than is necessary because damage to the catalytic converters can result from unburned fuel.
Possible causes of misfires- plugs, bad coil pack (usually this will cause codes to be set for only the one cylinder affected), bad gas, cylinder problems (bad rings/valves, low compression).
Old 06-11-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
amye66
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Silver

OK thanks, maybe I'll take it to the dealer on monday. I'll have my husband check the plugs, I'm assuming he'd be able to tell if they're bad. I appreciate your help. I'm just scared because I can't afford a serious problem right now.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

The plugs are not that easy to get to, if you're going to be taking it in anyway don't bother. As long as the dealer is willing to address this under warranty they'll probably take the plugs out among other things.