Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 24, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Scooby Specialist
Member#: 93773
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boulder, CO
1995 Flat Khaki GC8
2011 STi Wagon

Default a n00b question about getting stuff in the states

Hey guys,

I've been around for a while, havent made many posts though. Anyways, I'm in the beginning stages of a RHD Ver 3 conversion on an impreza L. My question is this: what are the logistics of just importing a JDM STi? I found one for like $7k, so with shipping I guess about 8.5? Could I just move the vin plates over from my impreza L chassis? or just register my impreza L and drive my STi? Just some ideas, I know I have seen a few legit JDM cars over here and have never gotten a straight answer on the logistics of it.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Scooby Specialist
Member#: 66304
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa
98 RWD BG Outback
...with R200 and ITBs ;)


There is some argument about this, but from what I understand you have to put a JDM car through customs services before it can be driven on the road. Unofficially, I know that some people do switch the VINs that are obvious, but that's mega illegal.

I've heard about people importing cars to Canada and then into the US as well as bringing cars over from military tenures in Japan.
mranlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
NASIOC Supporter
Member#: 177
Join Date: Aug 1999
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold
Subaru-less :(


thats pretty much it

the only semi legal way is to buy the clip and a 93-95 usdm chassis and swap the parts over ... fwiw that can usually be done for less than 7k
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stop-start tech saves fuel, so why can't we get it in the States? AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 13 01-01-2010 03:24 PM
A fast question about engine swaps in WA state. ChrisRT North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 8 07-06-2007 01:55 AM
have a question about that stuff under the hood commador Legacy Forum 9 05-06-2004 10:25 PM
questions about exhaust laws in the bay area shogunate83 Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 8 01-08-2002 01:07 AM
buying stuff in the states.. mickey finn Canada Region Forum 5 06-14-2001 08:45 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.